Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdcitrus

How to grow Calamondin from seed.

mdcitrus
16 years ago

I just bought a calamondin and it has about 10 fruit on it! They have a good amount of seeds in them and I want to plant a few for grafting. All I need to know is how to prep the seeds before planting and what type of condition they need to be in to thrive. thanks.

Comments (23)

• mdcitrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do I let seeds dry? Soak in water? or just pot straight from fruit? Thanks for your time

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

Not much to it really. Wash off the seeds and pot them up right away -- maybe a half inch down in good potting mix and keep it in a warm sunny spot. Likely each one will germinate, so pot each in it's own small pot.

• mdcitrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So the ones I let dry out are no good? Thanks for the reply!

16 years ago

Generally you should not let them dry out. But they may still be good if they haven't remained dry for very long. I think one or two days is probably OK. Usually they can be stored with a damp paper towel in a ziplock in the fridge for longer periods.

• mdcitrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just planted four, Fresh from the fruit, in small pots. We'll see what happens.

• Jalaine Nellas
    7 years ago

I'm trying to plant Calamansi too. They have sprouted now. I am just wondering how do I pot them? should I put in one seed per pot or more seeds?

• User
    7 years ago

One seed per four inch pot.

• Vanessa Kee Bancayrin
    7 years ago

Hi all. Do we have to peel the skin of the seed or is it okay if I don't?

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    7 years ago

OK if you don't but it might take longer to germinate. I don't peel.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

I planted my seed as it was out of the Meiwa kumquat and sandwich it between 2 layers of damp toilet paper and placed in an air filled ziplock bag.

Meiwa kumquats are the hardest to start and grow past 8 inches of any citrus/fortunella

6b Steve

• calamondindave
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ive been starting many calamondins from seeds since last November, and now have a small army of young calamondins. I pick the fattest seed of the fruit - the ones that look rounder than the others. They don't have thick skins, and you can often see some dark color underneath, and they don't need peeling. I put one seed in each 4 inch pot. I have done the wet napkin method, but it isn't that necessary as Calamondin germinate really easy. I plant them right from the fruit, or soak them in a glass of water over night and plant them the next day. I've planted seeds from fruit that has been in the fridge too, no problem. I put them in a warm spot and let nature take its coarse. Don't let the soil dry out completely, and don't keep it drenched, just keep it moist. Some will sprout in days, others take a week or more. Usually more than one tree will pop up from one fat seed. Calamondins are easy - put fresh seed in dirt, water, wait, presto. Also you can get blooms and fruit in just a 2 or 3 years from them, I'm told.

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    7 years ago

Dave you know i am a newbie. Is this as big as the fruit gets?

• calamondindave
    7 years ago

If that's a quarter, then no, they can get bigger. That particular one will probably not however.

• Carol Bell
    7 years ago

Hi I'm new to calamondin growing but eager for it to work. I've planted my seeds as advised and put them in a warm spot to germinate. My question is, do I put them in a dark place or somewhere with a lot of light. I've read a couple of websites and both giving contradicting advice. One says put in a dark place and the other says light. Any help appreciated

• John 9a
    7 years ago

I planted some calamondin seeds...maybe 6 or 7 years ago. They are about 14ft tall now and I have yet to see fruit. My grafted calamondin does great in the same general area and produces fruit prolifically.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

I germinate all my citrus seeds in a closed clear margerine container and put it inside my heating duct which is dark and warm.

In the furnace off season I use the plastic bag method place in shaded sunlight.

Yes is the answer to both haves to your either oar question.

Its like Roe vs. Wade. President bush said either way would get you out of flooded New Orleans.

6b Steve

• Carol Bell
    7 years ago

Great thanks. It's cold here in Newcastle Upon Tyne England so I've put them in the airing cupboard where it's dark n warm. Fingers crossed they grow. Thanks for your help

• ELIZABETH ENGLISH
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

do calamondin when planted and grown from seed bear fruit?

6 years ago

Elizabeth: Eventually.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Recently I saw a calamondin tree in one of my neighbors home, that was planted in 1999 from seed. She called it an orange tree and I told her that it is a calamondin, it is about 5-6 feet tall, growing in her sunroom. She said that the tree started fruiting 3-4 years ago, which means that seedling tree started fruiting after 14 years. She gave me twig with 3 ripe fruits on it, the fruit was very sour, it was my first time trying calamondin fruit. I made 3 cuttings and trying to root them now.

• Jalaine Nellas
    6 years ago
    Im having new issues with my calamondin plants, one plant in particular. I noticed there’s something that seems to be eating the leaves but I’m not sure what it is. I checked worms on the leaves (like the last time), but no signs of any of them on my plants. Also, there’s some distortions and discoloration on the leaves. I’ve been keeping them out from direct sunlight. Most of the direct sunlight is during early mornings, then the rest of the day it’s indirect, and I leave them at the patio so they can have fresh air and also nicer temp (between 75-87 degrees F).

These are pics from a week ago. I’m not home today.
    I will send pics of how the plant is now. two of the leaves only has its spines left... all the leaves have been eaten by something (microscopic maybe?)

What do I do?
  • Elemental Breakdown
    2 years ago

Looks like aphid, you can usually see them, they are green.

Look UNDER the leaves.

Easy to treat.