Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Ruby Red Grapefruit Trees

Posted by Fantascia none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 23:14

Hello, Well, I have a young Ruby Red Grapefruit tree that I have had for about 3 to 4 years. I found the seed in one of my morning Grapefruits...now my question is other than letting mother nature take its course, what can I do to get it to grow more...I mean it's growing nicely, I have it in a warm window with majority day sunlight, and I fertilize it once a month.

Now my question is, How come it isn't bigger? everywhere I look the tree should be at least 2 to 3 feet tall by now. It's only about a foot tall. I don't mind if it doesn't bear fruit I just want it to get bigger so I can put it into a bigger pot. Does it need to be in a bigger pot already, is that why it's not any bigger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Ruby Red Grapefruit Trees

Well, hard to say about your pot. If you can post a photo of your tree and pot, we can tell. Seedlings can take 5 years or more to bear and grow much more slowly than grafted trees which you are most likely comparing it to.

Patty S.

o
RE: Growing Ruby Red Grapefruit Trees

I purchased a Red Rio Grapefruit last August. I transplanted it as soon as I purchased it but it did nothing. I was kind of surprised it did not grow at all last season. This Spring I transplanted it into an even bigger pot and it took off. I tend to avoid overplanting my Citrus and aim for just right (just big enough to encourage growth). So, I thought maybe the Grapefruit was a bit more greedy for container size than the other Citrus. What size is the container?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here