Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 out of 3 citrus have only produced one fruit

Posted by brownmola SoCal (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 23:35

Hello, I have 3 dwarf citrus: a dwarf meyer lemon, a dwarf variegated lemon, and a dwarf bearss lime. They were all bought from the same nursery at the same time and are all planted in the same location, about 4 feet away from one another. They were planted a year ago. The meyer lemon produced about 10 lemons this past year and already has 4 or 5 decent sized lemons growing. The other two trees both have just one golf ball sized fruit growing on them right now and that is all they have ever produced. They all get the same watering schedule, fertilizer, and care. They have all gotten bigger and bushier as well.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 out of 3 citrus have only produced one fruit

Thats funny because out of the 3 of my citrus trees the only one that has yet to produce anything is my Imporoved Meyer Lemon...lol

There is one big green fruit on it so I have my fingers crossed.

o

In general, Meyers produce earlier and more fruit, as long as you take good care of them. Have a little patience with the others.

o

Thanks guys.

Blazeaglory, I totally thought the Meyer would be lagging way behind the other two and to my surprise it has been really good.

o

No, brown, just the opposite. The Improved Meyer lemon will be your most precocious and productive citrus tree in your yard. See my "100 Pounds of Lemons" message thread I posted a little bit ago :-) If you truly have dwarf citrus trees (on Flying Dragon rootstock, as opposed to the semi-dwarf trees that are commonly available at local garden centers), that very dwarfing rootstock will slow down the tree's development, including fruit production. That's the whole purpose of using a very dwarfing rootstock - to keep the tree very small. So, if this is the case, just be patient, and your trees will start to produce more and more fruit every year. But will have less fruit overall, that a tree on semi-dwarfing rootstock.

Patty S.

o

Yeah Patty. My neighbor behind me has a meyer lemon. Some mornings I wake up to a couple VERY HEAVY grocery bags full of lemons on my fence. Her tree is still full of lemons AND she has given more bags to other neighbors plus herself.

My Meyer has been a little too wet I think. Plus we have had a few cold nights. Plus my stupid grass.

browmola. I agree with patty. When I first purchased my Improved Meyer it literally had 3 leaves on it. Now less than a year later it has quadrupled in size and constantly flowers the most fragrant flowers. It puts out ALOT of fruit but they always fall off. If you read more on this site you will see Meyers are finicky trees. Just give it time.

o

Thanks guys, as always, all of your input is greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here