Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serge94501

Possible FP substitute?

serge94501
9 years ago

What do you think of this as a possible FP substitute for container citrus? I have put up both labels for comparison.

The potential substitute is a 12-4-8 and FP is 9-3-6 so they both work out to 3-1-2 (with the sub being stronger? would use less?)

The notable differences I see are:

1. Sub is missing calcium - big deal for citrus?
2. Ingredients are quite a bit different with some being the same
3. Sub is 1/2 price (even before adjusting for the fact that it's stronger and you'd use less...if I have that figured out right).

If it seems OK then I'll use it for a "weakly weekly". I know there are some real FP advocates here so I hope they can chime in on whether this looks OK or not.

Oh and yes I am hiding the name of the product until the discussion gets going - for fun :P

Comments (13)

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Looks like all the nitrogen in the substitute is derived from Urea.
    I thought Urea can be an issue with citrus, is this true?

• bounty
    9 years ago

And no magnesium either. Citrus tend to require this a little more than most fruiting trees.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

Reads like Iron is from disodium EDTA chelated . EDTA is generally not a good foliar on trees, since the metals are held too tightly. I have not tried the di-sodium form I have used the penta-ethylene hexamine derivative with excellent results, and others ( I used to run a micro nutrients plant.)

Test it by making up to three applications 2 wks apart. See if your trees green up. Report progress here please. If poor color persists sodium may too much and do not continue. Sodium can be toxic. Have to go now, will explain more later.

• serge94501
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@tantanman Good idea - I'll try it on 2 plants on your suggested schedule and see how it works.

• bulb1776
    9 years ago

I would use both of them. Use the alt for cost reduction and then periodically use FP if missing nutrients become an issue.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Doesn't seem like a good sub.
    The whole point of Foliage Pro is that it has all the essentials. Miracle Grow would work just as well, since it doesn't have proper Calcium or Magnesium, either.

Josh

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I would not use it. I had some problems using a urea based nitrogen fertilizer in my potted citrus the year before last. I researched why I had this odd tip burn, even though I followed the directions exactly.

Turns out some kinds of urea nitrogen can contain a substance called Biuret, a kind of impurity I think. Anyway it can tip burn citrus and avocados. But it's a cheap form of nitrogen so it gets into a lot of bargain fertilizers.

They say it's not as big of a problem for trees grown in the ground, but in container citrus it can burn the tips of the leaves as it builds up. And my two trees that had the tip burn also were not good growers, kind of just sat there.

When I re-potted them and replaced the soil and fed them with non-urea fertilizers, they recovered quite well.

If you look up Citrus and Biuret, you'll find lots of info. Here's one article;

Here is a link that might be useful: Biuret, Toxic Form of Nitrogen

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Agree with the above - especially with Barb's assessment of urea-based nitrogen (good eye, Barb). Especially in warm climates such as S. California, you're going to have a build up of biuret without a doubt. Plus, missing key micros. I would not use this. I would stick with Osmocote Plus and Foliage Pro.

Patty S.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

The substitute seems OK for a trial. As far as Calcium, more often than not the problem of having to put on micro nutrients is because there is too much Ca in the water or soil or both, making the others unavailable. Magnesium, if in the soil, is usually available, except when during the winter. And it is cheap and easy to obtain as Epsom Salts, and easily broadcast applied.

• serge94501
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I asked and was told that the fertilizer uses low-biuret urea. There is something called ultra low biuret urea, but they did not say they were using that. I think I'll pick one guinea pig and see how it goes over time. That's not to say I am not worried about the biuret (I am) - only that I'd like to test it out.

Here's the stuff: http://www.organicgardeningshop.com/Hasta-Gro-Lawn-12-4-8-Gallon.html

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

FWIW, I've used Miracle Gro 24-8-16 or the 12-4-8 water soluble all purpose fertilizer when I ran out of FP and I've had very good results...its not easy to get FP here and I hate paying shipping,lol...I know some of you are not a fan of MG, but its a very inexpensive fertilizer to use if you can't get your hands on FP...those 2 formulas are also 3-1-2 and has some of the minors as well...I just add 1/2 tsp of epsom salts to a gallon of solution.

• bulb1776
    9 years ago

I use miracid 3-1-1 for acid lovers with good results. If the extra nutrients in FP are not deficient in the plant you are feeding it is a waste of money.

I use FP but i do not think it is some magic fert. It is nice because it has all the minors etcâ¦

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Yes, I too am a fan of FP which I use faithfully.

I have also used what Pug has...The combination of 24-8-16 MG along with gypsum which is Ca and epsom salts which is Mg have given me wonderful results....It was what I use to use before the FP days...

MIke