Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer lemon leaves turning yellow - help!

Posted by juliearizona Arizona (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 1:18

Hi, I'm new here... and the new owner of a Meyer Lemon tree. It was just planted from a nursery (5 gallon) 6 weeks ago.

Most of the leaves are turning yellow, none of them are a rich shade of green, and quite a few have fallen off. After initially watering every day for 4 days, then moving to every 3 days, I'm now watering a total of 8 gallons every 5 days.

I read about citrus food on these forums and got the one with the most comparable ratio I could find to Arizona's Best.

I'm worried that I'm killing my Lemon! Could you help me figure out what the problem might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer lemon leaves turning yellow - help!

Your lemon looks like it is undergoing transplant shock. Continue to treat it well and it will soon recover. You could be overwatering it, which would cause the yellowing by leaching out or making absorption difficult of the Nitrogen (a good candidate for the yellowing veins symptom)

Arizona's Best has had very good reviews here; because it is adjusted for the high pH of AZ soils; is there a reason that you live in AZ and can't get it?

o

In addition to John's advice, could you also post a pic of how the tree is planted at the soil-line? This will help complete the picture.

Josh

o

• Posted by pgde Tucson Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 3, 13 at 22:21

Welcome to the forum! Where are you located? Arizona's Best can be found at Home Depot (19.99/40 lbs), Lowes, etc. Make sure it is the fertilizer formulated for Citrus (and not Arizona's Best General Purpose one).

Feel free to ask away....

Peter

o

Hi to all, and thank you for your advice.

I saw Arizona's Best but I didn't think it made sense for me to buy a 40 lb bag for my one little tree. Based on my research, I should only give it maybe 2 lbs in a year, so I thought I should buy a smaller container of the most similar kind.

I'm attaching a picture of the tree at its base, but I don't think it'll be helpful since it has been covered in rocks in the weeks since we planted. It was originally planted by the nursery staff and I know they included their "trademark 'moon juice'" which is some kind of fertilizer/plant helper.

Thanks again! Off to post on the pest forum about some other new plants!

o

And here is one of the whole tree.

o

I agree with John, looks just like a bit of transplant shock, but do check down in the soil to make sure your little tree isn't too wet. Then, just apply your fertilizer monthly until your see your tree perk up. You may continue to see leaf drop, but look for new leaf flush. If you see that, don't worry about the older leaves dropping, as they'll be replaced with new leaves :-) And, I would definitely treat for Citrus Leafminer (CLM), as you'll have all new tender leaves just asking for CLM to do their nasty damage. You can apply Bayer Advanced Fruit Tree & Vegetable Insect Control as a soil drench once every 6 months, or spray every 3 weeks with Spinosad and Volck Oil, just be careful with the Volck OIl. Don't not use it if your temps go above 85 degrees (which is a given in the summer where you are).

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here