Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yakkwak

Indoor Seto with Bug Problem I've not Before Seen

yakkwak
10 years ago

So, I brought a mess inside when I repotted my latest "rescue" citrus. The Seto was found at a nursery amongst a pile (literally) of tangled, bent, sideways, etc. citrus trees of various cultivars. It has been recovering nicely and today I noticed the beginning of a first new flush . The originally damaged leaves are still nicely green and are actually less of a curled mess. No yellowing is seen at all right now. It is one of my indoor citrus and receives supplemental grow light very early in the morning and again after the sun goes long. Since I repotted in a 511 ratio of pine bark fines, perlite, and spagnum peat, I've seen what looks like the tiniest ant-like creatures that I cannot accurately identify. They climb in and out of the pine chips and the center of the Seto. I do NOT see any mites, aphids, etc. The second thing I see are gnat like flying creatures creatures that may be from a mint plant that is now banned to the porch. I've used alcohol/H2O combo to clean all leaves and branches - just to be certain I have no other types living there. The ant like creatures may have hi-jacked the pine fines that I stored on the porch until I repotted.
So..... I need a plan. Have already placed an orange oil ring around the outside of the pot and have hand-picked as many as I can. Also orange oiled the perimeter of the windows it sits in front of. In addition to getting fly tape, and Terro liquid ant baits, what should I do? Can use DE on the top of the 511 mix without hurting the plant? I have a lung disease. Will it be safe AFTER I've put some in the pot using a medical mask? Any other (cheap) ideas?? I elevate the tree on a table so my Yorkie cannot reach it. Thank you in advance for your sage wisdom. ;-)

Comments (3)