Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsvand5

Anyone in FL have a Ujukitsu Sweet Lemon?

jsvand5
15 years ago

I was reading about this fruit, and would like to find a plant. It does not look like any of the nurseries that I know of in FL carries them. If anyone that has one in FL and would be willing to sell a little budwood I would appreciate it. Or if anyone knows of a nursery in FL that has some in stock please let me know. Also, does anyone know a good place in FL to get some good root stock seedlings? Please email me at vandegrift12@gmail.com if you can help.

Comments (5)

• ladymarmalade
    15 years ago

I saw this on Jene's Tropicals website and it sounds awfully similar to the description of the Ujukitsu Lemon. The picture also looks very much the same. Maybe same fruit by a different name?
    Citrus: Lemons
    Sanbokan Lemon - GRAFTED
    Citrus sulcata

Sanbokan or sweet lemon is sometimes called the Sanbokan Grapefruit because of its large sized fruits and leaves. Fruits have a rough outer texture with a deep lemon color. It can be used as a lemon or lime. The taste is that of lemon but sweet instead of sour. Sanbokan grows to 10 - 15 feet within just a few years. Container growing this small tree is excellent on a patio that receives full sun. It can also be planted in the ground, reaching its mature height within 8 years, but will live if treated properly for 25 - 50 years. If grown in containers, it can easily handle a light freeze, with no damage, even when fruits are present. Its native origin is unknown, but Sanbokan is commonly grown as a dooryard and patio fruit tree in southern Japan

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I actually did buy one of those from Jene's. I think they are basically the same. I have read that the sanbokan's ripen a bit later but taste basically the same. After searching everywhere for a small plant, I ended up driving down to Jene's last week to pick one up because it was to large to ship. It was about a 2 1/2 hr trip. Today I stopped by the local Lowe's to pick up some potting mix and what do I see, about ten perfect sanbokan's. The wife was not too pleased when I bought one from Lowe's as well especially after spending about $50 on gas getting down to Jene's. I just hope these things actually taste good.

• ladymarmalade
    15 years ago

How lucky you are. The Lowes & Home Depots in Broward County don't carry anything nearly so unusual. I have to buy everything mail order. Right now I am on the hunt for rangpur lime. Enjoy your lemon trees!

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was the first time I had ever seen one at any Lowe's or HD or really anything besides the common stuff. It looked like they had just got their shipment. Now I just need to find a blood at Lowe's one of these days.

• dancinggator1_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Where is Jene's located ? Which Lowe's carried the Sanbokan Lemon. If you don't mind, you can email the details, thank you.

JGD

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022