Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone in FL have a Ujukitsu Sweet Lemon?

Posted by jsvand5 FL 8b (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 1:38

I was reading about this fruit, and would like to find a plant. It does not look like any of the nurseries that I know of in FL carries them. If anyone that has one in FL and would be willing to sell a little budwood I would appreciate it. Or if anyone knows of a nursery in FL that has some in stock please let me know. Also, does anyone know a good place in FL to get some good root stock seedlings? Please email me at vandegrift12@gmail.com if you can help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone in FL have a Ujukitsu Sweet Lemon?

I saw this on Jene's Tropicals website and it sounds awfully similar to the description of the Ujukitsu Lemon. The picture also looks very much the same. Maybe same fruit by a different name?
Citrus: Lemons
Sanbokan Lemon - GRAFTED
Citrus sulcata

Sanbokan or sweet lemon is sometimes called the Sanbokan Grapefruit because of its large sized fruits and leaves. Fruits have a rough outer texture with a deep lemon color. It can be used as a lemon or lime. The taste is that of lemon but sweet instead of sour. Sanbokan grows to 10 - 15 feet within just a few years. Container growing this small tree is excellent on a patio that receives full sun. It can also be planted in the ground, reaching its mature height within 8 years, but will live if treated properly for 25 - 50 years. If grown in containers, it can easily handle a light freeze, with no damage, even when fruits are present. Its native origin is unknown, but Sanbokan is commonly grown as a dooryard and patio fruit tree in southern Japan

o

Thanks, I actually did buy one of those from Jene's. I think they are basically the same. I have read that the sanbokan's ripen a bit later but taste basically the same. After searching everywhere for a small plant, I ended up driving down to Jene's last week to pick one up because it was to large to ship. It was about a 2 1/2 hr trip. Today I stopped by the local Lowe's to pick up some potting mix and what do I see, about ten perfect sanbokan's. The wife was not too pleased when I bought one from Lowe's as well especially after spending about $50 on gas getting down to Jene's. I just hope these things actually taste good.

o

How lucky you are. The Lowes & Home Depots in Broward County don't carry anything nearly so unusual. I have to buy everything mail order. Right now I am on the hunt for rangpur lime. Enjoy your lemon trees!

o

It was the first time I had ever seen one at any Lowe's or HD or really anything besides the common stuff. It looked like they had just got their shipment. Now I just need to find a blood at Lowe's one of these days.

o

Where is Jene's located ? Which Lowe's carried the Sanbokan Lemon. If you don't mind, you can email the details, thank you.

JGD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here