Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_4913274

Leaves on Valencia Orange

User
13 years ago

Hello, new to posting here.

I need some help with my Midnight Valencia Orange. I purchased this tree last year and it has been in a pot since then and repotted once to a larger size pot. It was tagged with a Four Winds tag when I purchased it.

Leaves last year were what I would call normal. It wintered outside and lost all leaves during the winter. The tree has come back now however every leaf on the tree is doubled, a smaller leaf shape closer to the limb and a larger more normal looking citrus leaf past that. I read somewhere that this is a sign of suckers growing in below the graft line.

It is possible that this may have happened on some of the new growth, but the areas where there was normal growth last year is completely covered in these doubled leaves this year.

I've checked this small tree and it doesn't look like it is growing anything but these strangely shaped leaves. I have pruned off at least 6 very flexible limbs, new growth this year, with huge double leaves. The rest of the growth is on the pruned branches from last year with all double leaves.

I am afraid to prune any further for fear of completely cutting this tree back to a stick!

What can I do? Thank you!

Cheryle

Comments (3)