Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves on Valencia Orange

Posted by cherybb CA 9b (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 2:20

Hello, new to posting here.

I need some help with my Midnight Valencia Orange. I purchased this tree last year and it has been in a pot since then and repotted once to a larger size pot. It was tagged with a Four Winds tag when I purchased it.

Leaves last year were what I would call normal. It wintered outside and lost all leaves during the winter. The tree has come back now however every leaf on the tree is doubled, a smaller leaf shape closer to the limb and a larger more normal looking citrus leaf past that. I read somewhere that this is a sign of suckers growing in below the graft line.

It is possible that this may have happened on some of the new growth, but the areas where there was normal growth last year is completely covered in these doubled leaves this year.

I've checked this small tree and it doesn't look like it is growing anything but these strangely shaped leaves. I have pruned off at least 6 very flexible limbs, new growth this year, with huge double leaves. The rest of the growth is on the pruned branches from last year with all double leaves.

I am afraid to prune any further for fear of completely cutting this tree back to a stick!

What can I do? Thank you!

Cheryle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves on Valencia Orange

If you could attach some pictures, it would be very helpful.

o

Thanks for the suggestion, I have an album here

http://picasaweb.google.com/cherybb/OrangeTree?authkey=Gv1sRgCOSJz_mShfzY_QE&feat=directlink

that can hopefully be accessed.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange tree album

o

These types of double leaves are common with citrus. It is normal for kaffir lime to be this way. I have seen it on others, including a Sudachi I have:
Photobucket

The other problem I see is the curling of the leaves.
Are you watering enough?
What kind of fertilizer are you using and how often?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here