Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is our blood orange ill?

Posted by st2826 greece 9/10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 5:18

We're not sure of the type as it didn't have a label on, it's around 7 years old, was in a large pot untill 2 years ago.
It's roughly 4ft in height but hasn't grown in the 2 years we've had it.
Leaves are looking healthy, but we haven't had any fruit-it's flowered each year (sometimes hardly any like this year) and tiny oranges appear but they drop off.
We do fertilize it.

Is it worth keeping? is there anything we can do to help it or just give up with the idea of getting fruit from it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is our blood orange ill?

• Posted by st2826 greece 9/10 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 12 at 5:20

sorry that should have said:

"It's roughly 4ft in height but hasn't grown in the 2 years we've had it" IN THE GROUND

o

Did you damage the root ball when you transplanted it?

o

No i don't think so, we were really careful

o

Photos would help. Probably just fine and taking some time to recover from transplant shock.

Patty S.

o

Did you plant it too deeply? That might be the number one issue I see when looking at tree or shrub problems. Also on that list is putting a bunch of compost or other amendment in the planting hole. I also wonder if your tree was rootbound when you planted it...which could result in encircling roots that can't enter the surrounding soil system.

I guess you can tell that I am focusing on planting procedures, huh? In my experience, "operator error" is often the reason for all kinds of problems seen a long time down the road from the actual planting event.

Other reasons might be with the actual physical site...drainage, soil texture, etc. You might evaluate your watering routine, too.

Then there's always the JUST BECAUSE factor!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here