Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lance408

Washington Navel Orange Curling Dramatically and more

Lance408
10 years ago

I want to say in advance sorry if this is annoyingly long as I wanted to be as explainatory as possible in hopes of finding out my mistakes or whatever may be the cause. I appreciate all your time and look forward to hearing back from people with more knowledge on this type of tree.

I purchased a Washington Navel Orange tree from my local nursery which came in a 3 gallon nursery container and contains approximately a 2' tall grafted tree. I started to see leaves curling upward maybe two days after placing the tree (still in container) near my backyard fence. I immediately began looking up causes for the curling which became overwhelmingly high in possibilities. I read pests,water issues,enviroment changes such as heat/lighting, and even salt buildup from too much fertilizer. This left me flabbergasted so I just began trying to eliminate each possibility one by one.

I started with pests which it did have a small amount of white flies and at least a half dozen leaves with fairly large bite patterns in them. I proceeded to watch for pests throughout day and night hoping to find any possibility of culprits. I used some neem oil to combat any pests that just happen to stop by when I wasn't around or that i just couldn't see. After noticing even more leaf curling I began to worry more about water and enviroment.By the third day I took notice to the black nursery container which would quickly heat up from the sun. My solution to this was just to simply shade the container still allowing maximum sun to the tree itself. By the fourth day the soil had begun to dry at least an inch down which at this point I gave it a slow thorough watering waiting until the water was running through the containers drainage holes. After even more curling, some leaf drop and a lot of bloom drop began occuring.So on the fifth day I decided at this time it may have reacted negatively to the watering so i figured this was a good time to check for possible root rot and a good time to transplant it to a more stable enviroment. While pulling it gently from the container I noticed the rootball was rather wet while the outer soil was dry (was watered evenly). I then prepared a wide foot deep area in my backyard with a mixture of 50% native clay,50% Kellogg All Natural Garden Soil, and a 60lb bag of coarse garden sand. After combining all of the soil and raking out larger rocks I then dug a hole as deep as the container it came in but slightly wider. At this point i filled in some of the hole with soil making it so that the root ball was about even with the natural soil level. At this point I filled in the remaining gap and gave it a decent watering to settle everything. After days of no improvement here I am looking for help as my frustraition levels are starting to rise. I am beginning to wonder if overwatering is the culprit due to the root ball staying much moister than the surrounding soil.
I want to mention that I did not fertilize it at any point as the soil it came with already had slow release fertilizer and I had some worry about the salt build up possibility. Also, with my ph meter it reads the soil is at 6.0. I also know that the nursery it came from was a completely screened in area making it cooler,more humid, and allowing less direct sun and my yard is much more dry and direct with sunlight. The last couple days have even hit the high 80's and low 90's so I took some precautions to shade around it with a few left over window screens as I felt the change in enviroment was pretty drastic.

Pictures (Sorry for it being night I had no time to do this during the day)

Overall shot (using a flashlight to illuminate the tree drew out some extra yellow in the leaves that I couldn't notice as well during the day)
{{gwi:584130}}

Possible overwatering damage on that dying small branch down the middle? Also easy to notice how the leaves are drooping.
{{gwi:584131}}

Picture of leaf curl
{{gwi:584133}}

One of the leaves with what appears to be pest damage
{{gwi:584135}}

Comments (4)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The curling looks like classic under watering; but you said the rootball was wet. I think you are doing the right things; but you need to add a little patience. Citrus tend to grow slowly and recover slowly; first the roots have to grow into the new soil medium and then the leaves and branches will start to grow. Only when you see new growth starting should you add fertilizer.

• Lance408
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Johnmerr as a response like this will certainly help my patience. I wasn't sure how long the recovery could take so I was afraid that whatever was bothering it was still taking a toll on it. Your help is much appreciated!

By the way, Does anybody know what type of bug tends to make holes like the one in the last picture? Maybe 8 or so leaves were damaged in a manner similar to that one. Not all of the bites start at the very edge but most of them are on that section of the leaf and have a similar zig-zag pattern.

Random bugs seen around the property but not specifically on the leaves include earwigs, katydids, mealybugs, aphids, whiteflies, leafrollers, thrips,mites, cabbageworms, leafhoppers, etc.

Thanks again folks and happy growing!

Added follow up. I believe the maIn culprit was found today. An earwing slightly smaller than an inch long and pretty hefty in girth was spotted hanging out on a leaf towards the backside of the tree. Is it possible one earwig would munch through a decent amount of leaves in one week? Seems like damage was done more to younger leaves than the older ones with no signs of smaller insects such as aphids around.

This post was edited by Lance408 on Sat, May 4, 13 at 1:13

• Kippy
    10 years ago

If it helps-on curling leaves

I thought I needed to spray one of my newer trees. It has been in the ground almost a year and I thought I watered it regularly enough.

Well this past week of changing our garden watering system to zones on a drip enlightened me just how wrong I have been. Today I noticed that the suspect tree looks amazingly different. Even though I thought I had enough water for the tree, i think it needed it deeper than it had gotten in the past.

• Lance408
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kippy the Hippy, I have really been paying close attention to overall dampness and do believe I am seeing some improvement although it may just be my optimistic imagination. I will definately continue to monitor its dampness and am thinking of starting my garden on a drip system as well.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths