Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ri_mike

Citrus ID needed

RI-Mike
10 years ago

So I "inherited" this tree from a family member as the rescued it from a big box store. I was told it was a kumquat, but no way of telling what it is until it fruits. It has tripled in size since I got it in the fall as I kept it under a 400W MH grow light and fed it foliage pro all winter. Any opinions on what this is?

Comments (7)

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an up close of the leaves, the trunk does have thorns.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the base. Not sure what to think here, could the dead part be the tree and the green growth be rootstock? I have not found any graft line and before I pot this thing up with a new mix, I want to make sure its worth the effort of keeping it around.

• citrange2
    10 years ago

That's all rootstock!
    The original variety is the dead stump, with the original graft line just below where the dead twigs join the stump.
    You are growing a trifoliate hybrid - probably a citrange or citrumelo. While it will never give you very edible citrus fruits, it is an interesting plant which will survive much more frost than a normal citrus. Depending on your zone, it might be possible to grow outside and will eventually produce ornamental fruits.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, and I was afraid of that. Not worth keeping around as it wont survive outside in this zone.

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

You could always graft something else in. I'm sure there's plenty of people around your area with budwood.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Actually, Mike, it probably would survive in zone 7. Citrange has been growing similar cultivars in his zone successfully. They do make a very pretty ornamental tree, btw. And, you can use it for rootstock grafting as well. I would say keep it, plant it outside in the warmest, most protected area of your home and see how it does.

Patty S.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Plant that thing outside! You never know.

Some of us are growing Citrandarin and Citrumelo in the ground here in the DC area. Citrange should do OK too.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH