Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus ID needed

Posted by RI-Mike 7A - RI (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 7:46

So I "inherited" this tree from a family member as the rescued it from a big box store. I was told it was a kumquat, but no way of telling what it is until it fruits. It has tripled in size since I got it in the fall as I kept it under a 400W MH grow light and fed it foliage pro all winter. Any opinions on what this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus ID needed

Here's an up close of the leaves, the trunk does have thorns.

o

Here is the base. Not sure what to think here, could the dead part be the tree and the green growth be rootstock? I have not found any graft line and before I pot this thing up with a new mix, I want to make sure its worth the effort of keeping it around.

o

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Wed, May 8, 13 at 11:24

That's all rootstock!
The original variety is the dead stump, with the original graft line just below where the dead twigs join the stump.
You are growing a trifoliate hybrid - probably a citrange or citrumelo. While it will never give you very edible citrus fruits, it is an interesting plant which will survive much more frost than a normal citrus. Depending on your zone, it might be possible to grow outside and will eventually produce ornamental fruits.

o

Thanks, and I was afraid of that. Not worth keeping around as it wont survive outside in this zone.

o

You could always graft something else in. I'm sure there's plenty of people around your area with budwood.

o

Actually, Mike, it probably would survive in zone 7. Citrange has been growing similar cultivars in his zone successfully. They do make a very pretty ornamental tree, btw. And, you can use it for rootstock grafting as well. I would say keep it, plant it outside in the warmest, most protected area of your home and see how it does.

Patty S.

o

Plant that thing outside! You never know.

Some of us are growing Citrandarin and Citrumelo in the ground here in the DC area. Citrange should do OK too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here