Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf meyer lemon

Posted by plantgnome 6b/7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 7:51

When can I expect this to set fruit?

This is a potted dwarf lemon tree-it is supposedly a dwarf Meyer Lemon tree. The tree receives 4-5 hours of full sun each day. (when the sun is out) I water when the top 1 inch of soil is dry and I fertilize every 2 weeks with Dr. Earth Fruit tree fertilizer. I think the tree was only about 1 year old when I got it in October 2011. It was about a foot tall. Unfortunately I purchased this from Guerneys, which didn't say how big it would be at shipping time nor how old it was. I should have gotten a bigger tree from a different site. It has put on about 6 inches of growth since I planted it, but barely has any branching just a lot of foliage.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/plantgnome/lemon/DSCF0431.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf meyer lemon

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 10:03

is it Grafted? I dont see an obvious graft union. it looks like a seedling tree to me.

grafted trees can typically flower the first year.
seedlings can take many years, 5-12 is pretty common.

either way this one needs to just grow for many years before you would allow it to set fruit.

Also you should try and get it atleast 8 hours of light and be careful about watering. Just because the top of the soil is dry doesnt mean the rootzone is.

I have linked some very informative reading on container soils

mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Container soils

o

Guerneys reply- bears fruit at 3 years old-is produced by cuttings. So fed up with this company. never again

o

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 12 at 8:46

There is nothing wrong with a potted Meyer's Lemon grown from a cutting. It is a common way of rapidly producing an ornamental plant that will fruit perfectly well just as quickly as a grafted plant.
If you require a highly productive tree for growing outside, then you should select a plant grafted on to a rootstock suitable for your local conditions.
However, supplying a well-grown cutting is not justification for criticising the producer. For many people's reqirements it is a good way to produce a suitable plant at reasonable cost.

o

Nothing wrong with a rooted cutting.

It looks like its gonna need to put on some bulk before you can expect fruit.

o

If it is a rooted cutting, it is not a dwarf Meyer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here