Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xdxdaustin

Would anyone be willing to do a small swap?

xdxdaustin
10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me a grapefruit or orange cutting suitable for grafting? I have this part of my tree that is on the bare side with no branches so I thought I should try my hand at grafting! If someone would like something in return, I am currently rooting a few Ponderosa cuttings and I would be willing to trade one.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just a reminder, xdxdaustin, only folks in non-producing citrus states can ship out non-inspected citrus plants, cuttings/budwood, or fruit. Those of us in nearly all citrus-producing states may not mail out any part of a citrus or citrus relative outside of their state, nor receive in ANY citrus from ANYWHERE, due to significant restrictions due to several very serious citrus diseases. So, that would include folks in California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and S. Carolina.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Save Our Citrus

• xdxdaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Of course:)! I am all for the saving of our citrus :)

• krismast
    10 years ago

Actually Patty, technically, no one in any state can ship out uninspected stock, unless its from a certified nursery with export certificates. The risks of spreading citrus diseases between non citrus states is minimal but it's best to try as much as possible to swap within your own state. It lessens the chance of being caught and possibly punished. But it's not a huge deal, people swap stuff all the time, even though its not always the best idea. I would hate it if I found I was responsible for introducing some destructive pest to another state!

Kristopher

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Yes, Kristopher, technically, we cannot ship out any plant materials without inspection. I was able to bring all my houseplants from Maryland to California with inspection, it was a simple phone call and getting an okay from the USDA based on the information I provided to them. Other folks I know who live in non-citrus producing states can swap budwood, ship citrus trees, share seeds, etc. to non-producing states and at the most, may be told to simply notify the USDA and at the most, get a written okay. However, citrus CANNOT be shipped out of a citrus-producing state and into a non-citrus producing state without proper treatment and quarantines, as well as inspection and certification. And, nothing at all period can be shipped from a citrus-producing state into another citrus-producing state right now, even inspected and treated citrus (not counting processed products like juice). Ii.e., a citrus tree from Florida, even if treated, quarantined and inspected cannot be shipped into California. We cannot even receive clean budwood from University of Florida here in California. Hugely different processes both in monetary terms, and paperwork. And, nothing at all, treated and inspected, can be shipped from one citrus-producing state to another citrus-producing state. Just to clarify that statement. I think you were referring to swapping citrus products between non-citrus states. But, is is a huge deal between citrus-producing states, so I don't want folks to think it is not. Also, just so folks know - our citrus forum as well as other citrus related Internet forums are monitored by those who have responsibility for managing our very important commercial citrus industry, looking for folks who might attempt to swap citrus in a manner that would be illegal - either accidentally or with knowledge. So, it is important that folks know that you WILL get a knock on the door and a rather nasty visit from a USDA ag agent, if they believe it is warranted. Here is an article to read about how HLB (Huonglongbing or Citrus Greening) has devastated the Florida commercial citrus industry, it is truly horrifying.

The best policy at this time, is just don't. Just don't swap citrus. HLB can be found in every single part of a citrus plant, including seeds. You are much, much better off purchasing your cultivar from a reputable nursery in your area, or from reputable Internet nurseries. California at this point in time, is still free from HLB, but not the Asian Citrus Psyllid, the vector insect that spreads HLB. We are in a race against time here, to find a cure or control for HLB before it is found here in our state. Much has been learned about the devastation to the Florida commercial citrus industry, and we've been able to make significant strides in controlling the spread of HLB in other states, such as Texas, where it has now been found. But, it can't be stopped, and it is ultimately fatal to any citrus tree. So, please, let's not swap citrus budwood, seeds or plants if you live in the citrus belt. And, consider the possible effects of doing this in non-citrus states. The risks outweigh the benefits.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times: Citrus Disease With No Cure Is Ravaging Florida Groves