Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citrus_canuck

Leave it be or ?

Citrus_canuck
10 years ago

Since re-potting my largest meyer, theres been several small leaves turn drastically yellow, but do not drop, and several green that drop (maybe 10 yellow and 15 dropped) but the tree is putting out new growth on every branch.

It hasn't been 2 weeks since re-potting, should I fertilize or leave it be? I do know som yellowing and leaf drop is normal but... ugh I think I'm overly paranoid as its my best tree and I would die if I lost it.

There are 2 big lemons, 5 or so mid sized and a few tiny, would it hlp to remove them? or is all the new growth a good sign?

Comments (12)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Post a foto, we could give you better answers. Have you recently moved your Meyer to different light conditions? Meyers are very sensitive to significant light changes and will often drop many/most/all of its leaves, to replace them with new leaves better suited to the new light. If it is putting out new growth you could give it maybe half strength fertilizer, and the other half in about a month.

• Citrus_canuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will do a pic up in a bit. Its in the same conditions, other than having been repotted. Its only dropping smaller leaves in the center of the bottom (where its more dense bushy)

I am hoping the leaf yellowing and dropping is more due to my repotting it than anything else.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Then, what you are describing is transplant shock; not to worry. The tree is sucking the life back out of old leaves to use for making new leaves and fruits. Leave the yellowing leaves until the leaf stem becomes fully yellow; at that time all the nutrients have been taken out, and almost if you touch it, the leaf will fall. Give it more food and it will drop less leaves.

• Citrus_canuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Even this close to re=potting , fertilizing is ok? Foliar or while watering... or both? I have foliage pro (since so many recomended it here) full strength or 1/2 or 1/4 strength? The new growth is AMAZING... I cannot find a branch ANYWHERE that isnt putting out new growth. Several branches in several places!

This is the yellowing...

• Citrus_canuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

top view, best picture I could get of most of the tree, showing other than that yellow, it truly is very healthy.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

You are doing well, grasshopper... re-pot, wait at least two weeks, then begin half strength fertilizer...

• Citrus_canuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was already repotted. just over a week ago, I think now.It might have gotten a bit of over-spray when I did a foliar spray of my other trees... but if it did, I did it at 1/3 strength.

Its a really happy tree, just seeing yellow leaves scare me.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Citrus, I wouldn't be worried..It looks great and a few lower leaves falling off is no big deal. It's beautiful!

How often do you fertilize?
    What kind of mix did you use?

Mike

• Citrus_canuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went with a course cactus soil, mixed 50/50 with perlite. It was the best I could hope for right now. Over the year, with traveling to larger cities, I will build a stockpile for doing a better mix. Its really light, amazing at draining, Only re-did the one meyer and the new growth on it is amazing!

I fertilize every week with a foliar and soil application of foliage pro. weakened mix. Everything, all my plants look AMAZING. I have only had all my trees for a few weeks, upwards of a month, and the growth on them, shocks me! All but my one stickly looking meyer have had at least 3-6" of growth! and thats inside, under grow lights, in a moderatly warm house!

• bedtime
    10 years ago

From my experience when a leaf starts to turn yellow there is no going back. It will inevitably turn completely yellow and fall off. I would prune anything that has yellow and use those leaves for tea. No use wasting the trees energy on leaves that will fall off anyways when that energy could be used to feed healthy leaves.

• Citrus_canuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I left the yellow leaves till they drop, and happy to say it was just those leaves and the tree is very much alive and happy. A lot of new growth, my lemons are growing bigger... So I think its going to be great. now just if my other meyer was going to be ok. :(

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Foliar once a week may not hurt your tree... as long as you apply it when the temperature is below 80 F; but once a week is a waste of money; every 2 weeks is more than adequate.