Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

Time to put my citrus outdoors?

mrsg47
9 years ago

Hi all its the beginning of May in RI and the temps are in the high 50's during the day and high 40's at night. The temps are slowly climbing to the the 60's and 70's this weekend. Is it too early to put my trees outdoors? Many thanks, Mrs. G

Comments (11)

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

MrsG47 low temperatures 40s and high 60's is perfect . I just brought all mine outside beautiful day in Canada , the temperature right now is 72 low of 42 tonight . It took me 3 hrs this morning , big job . How many trees do you have? Here is a picture of my navel taken 1 hr ago .

Brian

• makalu_gw
    9 years ago

Mine went out last week right before the rains in my area so that they got a few cloudy days before the sun returns today. As long as you don't mind having to haul them all back in if the forecast is for a late frost you should be fine.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I put mine out starting about 2 months ago. I spent a week acclimating 2 trees to sunlight at a time until all my trees were outside. While none of them are particularly good looking they are all putting on new growth. If the temperature goes bellow 50 F degrees I brought mine in so the roots warmed up overnight to near 70 F. This seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree has been in ground for 3 weeks

{{gwi:569341}}
    Sweetlee is covered with expanding buds

Brian I have much smaller and fewer trees than you or I could not move them back and forth. Actually my biggest 4 trees combined are about the size of your very nice looking orange tree.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sat, May 10, 14 at 15:38

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Oh Steve you know it's not the size that matters it's about how much we love are hobby Citrus. Actually my wife lifted them out of the greenhouse isn't that why we get married NOT. Lol. We'll I have something to look forward to tonight , a back rub. I laughed when you mentioned about having to squish scales on 1000 leaves , that is my situation. Clementine alone has 1000 leaves you know those little tiny leaves full of scale yuk. I guess another job for super wife . Lol. Your tree also looks fantastic . Jealous you were able to get them out so early.

Brian

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Orangelime! Many thanks and thank all of you! They'll go out tomorrow. Takes two people to move the three trees. Huge pots. Orangelime, what a gorgeous tree!!! Can't wait till my Meyers get into the sun (slowly) they are happiest outside! Thanks all again, Mrs. G

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Thankyou Mrs G I hope your moving trees outside day went well. I hope your back is OK I know there was a lot of heavy lifting involved . It sure is nice seeing them outside again. Another beautiful day here , it was 77 degrees. Rain the rest of next week . I guess they will look nice and green after that.

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Brian..FANTASTIC job buddy! I love your tree....I imagine your zone is coldewr than mine and you still do a marvelous job...Beautiful..

Mike

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Mike a big thank you . Did you finally take yours out and if you did how is your back? Fantastic weather on the weekend and today highs were in the 70s and rain the rest of the week . I am on holidays next week, lots of work to do on the trees . Clipping dead branches and a few of them have scale why they all didn't get scale I will never know .How has the weather been for you? Would love to see a picture of your new grapefruit and the rest of your trees. Here is a picture of my Valencia which was heavier than the navel . I don't understand why they looked so good , they where at the back of the greenhouse where there was the least light. I wasn't even able to reach the fruit to eat. I guess they must have been good , probably all dried up now but they look good on the tree.

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Brian, amazing!!

All mine would be that big if I had the room and the strength to haul them to the upstairs..

As it is now, I can barely lift the one orange tree that big into my car and to the huge sunny windows at work..I will only let two get that big.. My Orange and my Grapefruit..

Iv'e had to cut back mine every year to keep it managable or it would be about 8 feet tall..Iam impressed that yours get that big and that YOU can lift them.Ha

How big is your greenhouse..I have seriously considered extending mine to accomodate all my trees...

Great job...

Mine are outside..All but the orange tree at work I have yet to lug out...The grapefruit has been outside for about a week and all the scale is DEAD..For that I am grateful..Now I just have to rid them off my Orange tree...

Amazing how well they did that far back in your greenhouse..I had to leave my Meyer Lemons to rot since I couldn't reach mine.lol

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Thanks again Mike you are very kind. Mike I am in my mid fifty's starting to have arthritis it ain't getting any easier . I don't know how much longer I will be able to do this . My GH is only 6x8 .I have the greenhouse jacked up about 18 inches , it's resting on wooden beams. I had to do this because I have a really tall palm tree which again is hitting the ceiling. Every fall I have to trim the citrus a good foot to be able to fit them in. I also take rope and wrap it around the trees tight so they aren't as wide . They take a lot of abuse but they don't seem to mind. They are actually kind of funny looking they look like wrapped up Christmas trees when I bring them in the GH. It's the only way I can fit them all in. I also have to lift these 75 pound monsters a foot and a bit just to get them out the GH door, then drop them a couple of feet to the ground. My palm is about 100 pounds and takes the both of us . You know Mike it seems bad but it really isn't , 1 day of torture in the spring Bringing them out and 1day in the fall bringing them back in ,well worth it . I think Mike the only reason why i have such success is because I have a good micro climate thing going on in my back yard . My back yard is totally fenced in , it is like an oven in the back yard in the summer. By the way Mike Home Depot here in Canada had a ton of beautiful citrus trees for sale , they had just about every variety . They came from Duartes good quality stuff. I hit every Home Depot in our area on the weekend and amazing I did not buy one. .

Mrs G I would really love to see a picture of your trees to.

Brian

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, once my trees acclimate to the outdoors I'll post pics. Also my key lime just started blooming for the second time only. The first time it bloomed it dropped all blossoms. I have my fingers crossed for their second bloom outdoors! Love citrus!! Mrs. G

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer