Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grow lights ?

Posted by Citrus_canuck 6b (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 11:29

I have 5 trees, that I am currently unable to put outside. #1 incredibly windy, #2 still frost risk, #3 maybe 2-3 hours sunlight, total. (too many tall trees around)

I have had trees before, all have done great, until I had them inside for winter. I have options of taking them to a friends yard, where I have a garden, so they would be checked regularly, I just would love to keep them here, but it would be strictly grow light, and outdoor time for more of the heat than light. I was thinking grow lights at night, outside in the heat for the day??

How many hours should the trees be under the grow lights? I have 5-full spectrum bulbs all around the trees, not sure if thats enough or not. The leaves have all turned towards the lights (and I have been rotating the trees)

I have 2 meyer lemons (one... I will do anothr post about) 2 key limes and a calamondin. all about the same size, all have new growth, flowers and fruit on (key limes are just now flowering)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grow lights ?

this is what I used to grow the following tree

--------------------------PICTURES OF THE TREE-------------------
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2012, 10-25 B photo KUMQUATMEIWA10-25-12B_zps0baf63be-1_zps80ee7425.jpg
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2012, 12-03 C photo KUMQUATMEIWA12-03-12C_zps54492451-1_zps82658c33.jpg
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i455/wreristhechimney/Seed grown Meiwa kumquat tree/MEIWA------THE SKINNY/KUMQUAT2012MEIWA-12-17-A_zps07f8afd8.jpg
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2012, 12-30 A photo KUMQUATMEIWA12-30-12A_zps97ee71bc-1_zpsd586d14a.jpg
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 01-08 A photo KUMQUATMEIWA01-08-13A_zps5c0da34f-1_zps4e4a3780.jpg
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 01-20 A photo IMG_3591_1_zps9f116586.jpg
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 01-20 A photo KUMQUATMEIWA01-20-13A_zps2c2f143b.jpg
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 02-19 B  this is an inlargement of the other picture. photo IMG_3624_1_zps0c6cdf77.jpg
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 3-20 B photo IMG_3677_1_zps56c6198e.jpg
All these pics are of the same tree

The equipment used below
The light buckets use 2 plastic 5 gallon buckets lined with foil. the upper bucket contains a 13 watt 5300K CFL bulb. The two are stacked as in the picture below.
3:  KUMQUAT GROWER COMPONENTS--POTTED TREE TO LEFT--CENTER IS TWO BUCKETS LINED WITH ALUMINUM & FITTED WITH AN 18 WATT BULB. TO THE RIGHT  TREE GET PLACED IN STEEL CAN AND VACUUM HOSE GOES IN HOLE IN LOWER CAN TO SUCK OUT EXCESS WATER photo IMG_3594_1_zps3a25afac.jpg

this light bucket was used for this tree. this can be used in trash cans, 55 gallon drums , sonna tubes or a grow box as seen below.
4)---16 brocoli plant in 1 gal. cans under 8 lights of 650 lumens, Above, Meiwa kumquat tree's roots are warmed by lights to 85 deg. photo IMG_3691_zpsd744827b.jpg
This 2FT by 2FT with 8 light can take a larger trees. Set the height to match your trees needs. All 4 walls and the ceiling should be painted bright high gloss white

old box at 2 ft tall plants plants still in food cans photo IMG_3597_1_zpsbbd12b99.jpg
This 4' by 4" with 12 light system might be able to handle all your trees.

Click on the link below to start my 6 sec./picture slide show of my bucket light system that was used on most my trees

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Bucket light system

o

I recently did a lot of fact-finding on this question. 12 - 16 hours light exposure is optimal. For my indoor and semi-indoor trees, I'm giving them 8 hours of (dark) rest time.

o

I forgot to mention that I provide 16 hours per day total, lights plus sun

o

I have been giving them 18ish hours light right now, but, I turn them around as the lights dont reach everything good enough. I have my plants near a window (no direct sun) on a coffee table with a 5 headed light, each head with a full spectrum bulb. each within 3-10" from main branches. The bulbs do not produce heat, so I figure closer to the plant, the better, correct?

o

This is my current set up

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/Betty_Stephani/media/DSCF7755_zpsd3633bac.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

o

The CFL put out 100% heat with 15% of the heat as electromagnetic energy in the visible light spectrum. The plants won't burn unless you get closer than 1 inch. you are safe. You will need to do a lot of experimenting and reading photobucket's instructions. your link takes you to photobucket picture that state you have move your picture away. I have enough experience to know to click on the arrow and photobucket takes me into your album where every thing you have is accessible. Don' put up anything that is private until you learn how to guard it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here