Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling Washington navel questions?

Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 11:54

Out of all my Washington navel oranges this year one had three plump seeds. The first seed I can remember in that variety. Since the seeds appeared robust I planted them. Now there are two seedlings that obviously came from the same seed.

How common are seeds from this variety and do you think the seedlings will be true Washington navel trees and fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling Washington navel questions?

Yup, they come true, pretty thorny though and you'll have to wait 5 or more years to fruit. I get lots of seeds in my inground navel oranges as they have plenty of pollinators around.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

o
RE: Seedling Washington navel questions?

Five years to fruit even though it's true to type. Hmm, guess I'll have to give it a try and see how long mine takes. The Washington navel I have now is still pretty thorny at 8 yrs especially on any vigorous growth. So that part won't be a surprise.

And mrtexas, if your tree gets pollinated won't that give you a seedling that isn't true to type?

Thanks for the response!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here