Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

2 seedlings in one root riot cube. How to Separate?

We have plans to plant dwarf citrus across our frontage. We will need 21 trees. So, I obtained some Flying Dragon seeds, and put them into root riot cubes with the hopes of getting dwarf root stock. We have many other citrus in the yard that we can use for grafting purposes.

4 of the cubes are showing little seedlings, but the strongest one now has a twin coming up 1/4" away in the same cube.

If this was potting soil, it would be easy to separate, and I want both to survive so any suggestions on separating them will be welcome.

Should I just pot them up together for a while and let them get bigger before separating?

Thanks!
Suzi

Comments (9)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The seeds have more than one embryo . The two embryo and plants will be touching at the seed but they are not binded. With a little finagling they can be separated with out hurting either tree. The stronger tree is an exact clone of the mother tree. The weaker tree is derived from two parents. both tree should be excellent root stock. I did the same thing but I found grafting to be far beyond my ability.
    below the poncirus trifoliata from seed
    {{gwi:567683}}

Below the happy meiwa kumquat tree from seed to be grafted to the PT
    {{gwi:576136}}
    the link below conects to my slideshow of my seed grown meiwa kumquat tree

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile?banner=pwa

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you have to snip the seed to separate them?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Just a little jiggling and a tug. I waited about 2 months and each stem has some strength. The roots curled around each other and I had to carefully twist in a way that the roots untangled with out damage. The two did not simply just come apart but I did not need a knife either. They however were stuck together as if a very cheap glue had been used

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, a root riot cube is much like a sponge. I have two babies growing in the sponge. Have you tried to rip apart a sponge? I need to speak to the root riot mfg, but they are probably speaking another language...........

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

If you have plenty enough of these Poncirus trifoliata then you are free to chose, do you want the purebred tree or the mut. Chose then kill the other or just wait. maybe one of the trees will die.

I have never heard of a riot cube before an I thought is was something like a peat cube shaped like a Borg ship.

Good luck

Original Author
    10 years ago

I cant find the manufacturer! And I threw out the packaging. But the little seedlings keep popping up, so it's all good.
    Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

I only learned about the root riot cubes this year in the fig forum. Evidently people have a lot of luck rooting fig cuttings in them. What I like about them is I can pick them up, and view all these little amazing roots sticking out!

I planted 25 seeds, and every day a new seedling pops up. So far, 6 are growing, including the twins, and I see green ready to pop up in 2 other cubes. I hope I get singles from now on!

Every day they go out in the sunshine, and they are so pretty and green! They come in at night where it's warm and safe.

This is a little project that, if it works, will save us about $600.00 purchasing dwarf citrus trees. It's hard to explain, but the house is built above the road, and there is a flat front yard, a wrought iron fence, and a rocky slope down to the road.

We planted lots of rosemary and flowers on the rocky slope. In front of the fence will be blue agapanthus and behind the fence, dwarf citrus in ground. We don't want anything to grow to high, and I'm thrilled these little seeds are actually sprouting!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Poncirus trifoliata are extremely sensitive to low zinc, iron, and manganese. Any type of animal manure is deadly to them. I lost 14 out of 18 when I fertilized with urine. They are very hard to graft to. Place them where dogs cannot mark them or male dogs could easily kill them. Otherwise you chose a rootstock that take a lickin and keeps on tickin.

I tried the same thing but could not graft as of now but I am going to keep trying.

May the clorofil be with you

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

How are your baby dragons doing. Have pics to post? I would like to see them

Steve