Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon Question

Posted by az_pamperedchef 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 12:54

Hello experts! I have a three year old Meyer (planted in the ground) and it's doing fabulous. My next post will show it's progress in three years. However, I'm concerned about it because I noticed this morning some thorns on a couple of branches. From perusing this forum, I've read that usually if your branches have thorns, it's coming from the rootstock and not the grafted citrus. Is that correct.

I checked the branch and it is not coming from below the bud union. As a matter of fact, it's coming from a lateral branch that does not have any thorns! I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. What do you experts think?

The first picture is very unusual for me. I know Meyers can set fruit and bloom at the same the same time, but mine never has, so I decided to take a picture for posterity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon Question

Meyers have thorns. The large thorns and larger than typical leaves on the new branches are what we call watersprouts; they usually indicate that you are being a bit too kind to your tree in terms of food and water. Not to worry, just prune them back to the general level of the canopy and they will revert to normal growth.
A mature Meyer will normally have maturing fruits, small fruits, and flowers all at the same time and will produce fruit nearly the whole year.

o

This is the first year that Meyer has both blossoms and fruit. I've heard they can produce all year, but I didn't think it possible in our very WARM climate!

I will most definitely prune that "watersprout". I was worried of the thorns since I don't see any on the other branches.

o

John has given you excellent advice, and believe me, he's got plenty of "warm" where he is, and his Meyer lemons are doing exceptionally well. Your Meyer looks extremely happy, and water sprouts are simply a sign of a very healthy and happy tree. If the sprout gets too big, simply prune as John has said. Most new and tender branches of all citrus have thorns. You should see the thorns on my Yosemite Gold mandarin!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here