Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Calamondin tree

Suzy11
10 years ago

I overwatered alittle last night. A few leaves are beginning to turn yellow on the edges. Today it is out in the sun. Will it be ok? I really have a problem figuring out when to stop watering. Any ideas? Do you stop when the water comes out of the drainage hole or keep going?,

Comments (13)

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are these trees good in a drout?

• yakkwak
    10 years ago

Provide a lot more information and I'm sure these guys/gals here will jump to offer some advice. Pic if you have it. How often do you water? Method of determining when to water? How fast does the water flow through your potting medium? What is age of tree, dimensions, diameter of trunk, content of soil (very important), recent SCHEDULE for acclmating in sun, type of sun (dappled, full, etc.), whether you are protecting the trunk from full sun exposure, getting water on leaves, etc. (in daytime). My Calamondins like their soil to be on dry side before watering. If you overwater, elevate the container from the drip pan to promote air drying - removing it is good. Use a brick - I use a big cooking cooling rack - does wonders. They don't like abrupt changes in heat nor strength of exposure to sun at all. When air humidity is low, they love soft misting with a misting bottle (at night so leaves don't get scorched)! What are you feeding them and on what schedule? Always be watchful for spider mites on these guys - they're like dessert to those little critters. ;-0. Since you tend to overwater, may I suggest you search Al Tapla's potting medium recommendations for citrus. They allow the water to move freely through, significantly reducing opportunity for you to get root rot going.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the great advice. I fertilize once a week with jacks fertilizer all purpose half strength. Sometimes I under water also. Do you stop watering when water starts to come out of the holes? I water twice a week. I am tring for a sat. And wensday schedule. Just got the tree last week. It is about 2 . And has many flowers and has 5 oranges. I also can't decide when to pick them. I leave the tree in the sun all day but pull it under a roof about noon. I feel the soil to check for dryness and stick a finger into the soil. The leaves have gotten rained on and I spits once. Is it important to spits in summer? What do spider mits look like?

• Citrus_canuck
    10 years ago

You water as needed, there is no way to ever get it to a schedule. I water till it comes out the bottom and leave it to drain (I water in the bathroom as its too cold to use my outside watering tap) then move back into my livingroom. I do recomend getting wooden dowelling from a store, stick it in the pot, about 2" from the outside of the pot water when the stick is dry (pull out and check every so often)

As for moving it out of the sun... why? They are a warm area plant and THRIVE in sun! You just need to slowly adjust them to the sun. Then slowly adjust to shade when or if you will be bringing them inside.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much for the great advice. It will help. :)

• Citrus_canuck
    10 years ago

That looks like a beautiful tree! Very similiar to mine, except I have no ripe oranges as of now.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much. I just got it last Friday. Came with flowers and oranges. It now has a few babies.

• christian2525
    10 years ago

What's wrong with my calamondin? It's leafs curling up on the top. The weather is just now getting hot here in dallas TX. I don't know if it's to much water or to much fertilizer. I put half of MG citrus steak on it like a month ago.

• christian2525
    10 years ago

Here is another one with leafs are curling.

• christian2525
    10 years ago

Those 2 trees came from this tree. I repot this tree a few days ago, trim some roots out of it and repot it with MG moisture control potting mix. And now the leaves are curling up too. It bad time to repot when I'm trying to air layered?

• yakkwak
    10 years ago

Suzy11- Signs of bugs include very, very tiny specs/dots on leaves, sometimes reddish looking. Especially new leaves. Strings like very fine spider webs. Diluted rubbing alcohol to clean leaves. Some use water to wash off. Be careful of new growth as it is so delicate. Mites are worse on citrus that spends time indoors - bedause natural predators that eat the mites aren't present. My Miho Wase that's finally having a growth spurt after I overpruned the roots (sigh) has a couple of mites. It's quarantined from my other citrus. I am checking the leaves nightly.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are these leaves ok?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if you could freeze the juice and rin like you can with Meyers?