Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP, no blooms this year on Lisbon Lemon!

Posted by chopinlover 9, phoenix az (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 12:56

I can't find any information online, can anyone help me? I have a nice tall Lisbon lemon tree, it's been planted in ground for 6 yrs, produced heavily each yr with giant, perfect fruit. Now this past harvest [dec-jan in our zone], I noted some of the fruits were splitting close to harvest time. I picked them all, fertilized, watered and waited. NO BLOOMS, just new shoots. I fertilized again, thinking I didn't use enough. Same thing. I've given up and yesterday spouse pruned it back.
Where did I go wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP, no blooms this year on Lisbon Lemon!

Sounds like you let it dry out too much; cracked fruit might also be the result of too much nitrogen; but more commonly is due to shortage of water.
If it is growing new shoots, it may bloom later; but you have probably missed the main bloom.

o

John, how would I know if was too much nitrogen? I'm using a commercial citrus mix made for our area? Also, the package states that I should be using 5 lbs for size of my tree? I was only using about 2 cups previously...it's on a drip system but i think i have to water it extra from the hose myself.

o

Well, it doesn't sound like too much nitrogen. Most likely too little water; a tree that size on drip would probably need 6 to 8 emitters to get enough water. Lemons should be deep watered about once per week; and be sure you are putting the fertilizer at the drip line, or in a circle with a diameter equal to the height of the tree; that stimulates new feeder roots and new growth, upon which the blossoms and fruit are borne.

o

OK, thanks John, I will be more consistent with the watering now that it's getting hot again. Also I have always applied the fertilizer at the drip line... increasing both.... I can't install more more emitters, it's at the 'end' of the line and the pressure is not good, so watering by hand with hose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here