Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraine_miller7704

Dwarf tangerine in a pot

Lorraine Miller
9 years ago

My tangerine looks good as far as I can tell? How long will it take to begin to see the new growth? I plan on using Jobe fruit and citus organic fertilizer. How often and how much should I fertilize it

Comments (11)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I can't tell for sure, since the photo is a bit blurry, but to me, it looks like you have rootstock growing, and not the scion. If those small leaves are "leaves of 3", you have your trifoliate rootstock starting to take over. Please give us a better, closer, clearer photo. If this is the case, you need to cut off that branch to allow the scion cultivar to grow. We tend to use a liquid fertilizer here on this forum, DynaGro Foliage Pro, and use it with every watering. Full strength during the spring and summer, when you can bring your container citrus outside (if you're in a non-citrus zone, you don't tell use where you live, so have no idea how you're growing your citrus), 1/2 strength when brought inside during the colder months.

Patty S.

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope this is a better picture of my tangerine tree. Not sure what you mean when you say let the scion cultivar grow, from where does it start growing ? I took another look at the leaves, it definitely looks like three small leaves are attached together, so now what do I do if the trifoliate rootstock is taking over

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Trifoliate. Cut that branch off, and the long branch to the right is your cultivar. So, cut it off just above where your cultivar branch branches off of the main trunk. Cut it off where the red line is. That will leave the lower part of the trunk, and the cultivar branch, which branches off at about a 45 degree angle.

Patty S.

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I cut the branch off. Will the one stem that is left, will that turn into bark and begin a tangerine treetop.

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cut where suggested. Will that one stem grow into a solid tree in the container or will the stem that I cut grow tall

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there anything I need to do next. Should I fertilize it

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Follow up on tangerine tree here are some more pictures, see slight curl and small holes in a couple of leaves. Should I spray before setting on patio or wait

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    8 years ago

Looks nice. You are in zone 9? Your tree will be completely fine for probably 95% of the year or better. Mine have been outside for a week and I'm in 6b. I don't worry about mine unless the weather is going below 40

Gradually adjust it to sun by going filtered shade for a couple weeks the move it closer to full sun over the next couple weeks.

Mike

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi thanks for comment in the Lanier it gets sun, however once I put it out it will get full Sun by 10 am then all day. Pots are heavy once out difficult to bring back in. Grapefruit tree on the other side of Lanier gets less Sun but likes where it is, that will have to go from Lanier to outside and stay for the summer. Don't want leaves to be shocked. Wondering if I can put something over the plants when the full sun hits the plant. Don't know what to do around leaves getting full sun as soon as they are put out rather than gradually building up to sun.

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Grapefruit tree same concern. This is where my plants will be it is now 9:15 am by 10 or 10:30 it will bre full sull n front of the window.