Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get the 'tree' look?

Posted by Citrus_canuck 6b (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 13:23

All my trees are more bush, than tree shape. I love the tree look with the longer trunk, bushy top. I have NO clue how to do this, is it too late once they are very very bushy? My one meyer and calamondin would be the 2 easiest to trip up as they have a more noticable main trunk... just no idea where to start to have it happen and NOT kill my tree!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get the 'tree' look?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:49

Are these grafted trees? I ask because i have read that cuttings of meyers tend to sucker from the base and look more bush like.
anyways the way to make them tree like is to first find the central leader, or what you would consider the trunk. Start at the bottom and carefully select which lateral side branches you want to remove. Most trees want to have an apex or leading branch.

can you post some pictures, possibly a large photo of the whole tree.

Mike

o

My key limes would be impossible. From the ground there are 4-5 branches all coming from the same area. Calamondin has a branch growing from the dirt that looked lik a 2nd tree, but noted that it was planted too deep and it was just a low branch... but its still really busy. the on meyer, I will get a picture of to see, its the most likly out of all my trees.. I would love at least ONE to have that shape. If I staked my 2nd meyer up, I might be able to make one of the branches a main... but. I will do my best to get pictures tonight

o

Mon, May 6, 13 at 17:05

Well if you have multiply "trunks" coming from the soil the best way would be to pick the strongest and cut all the rest. Then you could start training it to be the main trunk.

Mike

o

Pretty much all look the same in strength. No matter what I need to cut them back, they are middle busy and the flowers/leaves just dont get the light.

Need to get pictures after I take the kids to soccer

o

when growing in zone 6 b it is better to have a shorter tree with more spread. They fit in windows better, are easier to light with lights, are less top heavy, have a higher foliage to cambium surface area ratio, and can carry a heavier load of fruit . They can be moved through doors easier, and can be sprayed for problems easier.
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 02-19 B.  this is an inlargement of the other picture. photo IMG_3624_1_zps24da58e1.jpg
seed grown meiwa kumquat tree happy in grow light bucket

Click on the link below for access to the
F O R T U N E L L A ------- F I L E S

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile?banner=pwa

o

Here are a few of my trees. It looks like more of them could be trimmed, but I only want to do it if wouldn't harm the tree. Even if I dont do them all, I would love just ONE like that. I have 2 key limes, I think one could work it nicely.

Not sure how to get pictures to show, just how to do the links,

Calamondin

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/Betty_Stephani/media/DSCF7743_zpse263ebf0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Another view

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/Betty_Stephani/media/DSCF7741_zps4f519433.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Key lime

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/Betty_Stephani/media/DSCF7737_zps72df9b50.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

The meyer I think would be best to do it to

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/Betty_Stephani/media/DSCF7737_zps72df9b50.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

With the lemon, there are branches below the graft line, and they are very much lemon, the same as above. Is that normal, or should I snip them?

My key limes have no graft lines at all, nor the calamondin that I can find anywhere. Only grafts are on my 2 meyers.

o

hi Betty

If you look to the right of the album thumb nails you'll see a link labeled slide show. Just left click on it and photobucket will auto copy the link. You then paste it in both the boxes marked on the garden web post up site you are working on

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

I'll trade you all my citrus trees for your worst meyer lemon. Your tees look fantastic

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/Betty_Stephani/slideshow/

o

hi Betty

If you go to your photobucket album and open one of your pickture there will be to the right a clicksble link marked HTML. left click on it and it will be auto copied. take that and right click paste into the text

photo DSCF7755_zpsd3633bac.jpg
click on picture above to open the photo bucket display, then use your keyboard arrows to navigate from pic to pic

o

They are looking pretty great, my 'bad' meyer... just doesnt look the same once the wind took it for a ride. And those winds are the reason I just cant get them out right now. Not bad for a run of the mill store, like walmart, eh? They didnt even KNOW what they were! Just thought it was a bush, no one looked at the tags. Since getting them, I did do a fertilization on them, using what I had, with micros, and added in a tiny bit of epsom salts. Let it run well, and they all have A LOT of new growth, less than a week, and I didnt see any spots of new growth when I got them. The 'bad' meyers new growth has a few issus, more crinkled and stunted, but... I think the wind and being uprooted may have helped in that. No pests on anything... magnifying glass and all and searched everything. (some of the ones where I bought my biggest meyer had scale and CLM -and the funny thing, they were inspected by agricultural dept and cleared for getting out of quarantine... hmmm... so I mentioned it to the greenhouse for them to treat) Now... really hoping to get a kumquat still from them... just too broke :(

o

Trim the branches with red circle or x on them. I may have two pics of the same tree and as a result there could be questions, but this should work.

Steve

o

Trim the branches with red circle or x on them. I may have two pics of the same tree and as a result there could be questions, but this should work.

Steve

o

Steve

o

Steve

o

Before you start cutting you can just break off any new shoots that start to prevent the limbs from getting bigger and eventually the limbs will use up the leaves an then the limb will loose their leaves at this time remove the limb. Might as week get the energy the tree put into those leaves back.

o

I will try doing that before cutting. I am scared to cut and cause damage as they are so healthy.

o

Tue, May 7, 13 at 17:12

P guy gave you some good pointers. You wont hurt the tree. In fact pruning trees is actually good for them. if you are wishing to achieve the "look" you want that is the only way. Im beginning to not worry so much about the shape of my trees because my focus is more on making fruit. that doesnt mean I wont shape them up if they get out of balance but if one wants to be a bush so be it.

Mike

o

Would now be an ok time to trim up a few of the lower branches? Or should I wait till next spring, a little earlier?

o

and thank you for all the help! If it is ok now, to trim up, I think I might do a couple of the smaller lower ones, and just leave it to bush. I do love the tree look, but, I am ok with how they are. Maybe one day, just try to buy one that I can work with more for that.

Are there better trees for the 'tree' look more than bushy? I am looking at hopefully getting a kumquat... they have 2 left at the greenhouse, hoping to possibly get one.

o

be careful what you wish for... most citrus, and especially Meyers can be pruned to whatever shape you like. I have seen Meyers espaliered, as topiary, and even bonsai. If you prune the tree up too high and expose the trunk to the sun, it can sunburn and kill the tree... it maybe why they don't grow that way naturally.

o

Poncirusguy - the pic you shared with citrus_canuk showing your floor lamp - two questions: 1) where did you get it, and 2) do the bulbs/lamp run very hot? I'm toying with the idea of expanding my indoor collection and like the maneuverability of that lamp.
Rene'

o

Rene'

I got the picture and slide show from Citrus_canuck Photobucket site. She has her display listed to public access thus making it possible to explain to Citrus_canuck how to display picture from a photo sharing site such as Photobucket and give an example. You'll need to talk to her.

I wish I had one to

o

As for the bulbs.,I aim for 3 inches minimum space from plants. I believe those bulbs are 15 to 18 watts with 18 much more common I accidently misaligned my seed grown meiwa tree and the bulb touched the trunk. the trunk was burned and browned to obvious death. I lost about 1/5 of my tree but the tree will live on

See pic below

o

I bought the simple lamp from walmart, there are 5 heads on it with 5 full spectrum grow lights. It weighs less than 20 pounds, simple to move! the heads/arms all move so able to direct just the way you want. if you touch the bulbs they are uncomfortable to touch, less than an inch away you dont feel any heat, so they can get close to the plants. So far, all my plants are thriving with the lights, they move towards the lights and I tend to rotate the plants through the day. It was the only set up I could figure out. I have started running a humidifyer 30 min undr the plants, 2-3 times a day. And it brings the humidity up around them to 60% on average. I will be adding in a second lamp to help with full coverage in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here