Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Key Limes and lemons at Home Depot.

Just picked up a small Key lime plant at Home Depot here in North. VA. It was about 18 inches high. They also had no-ID lemon plants. They were in tallish ceramic containers. $19 each.

I've never seen them offered before. I wonder if they are seedlings or rooted cuttings.

Def. not grafted.

Even if they are seedlings, I've read key limes bloom earlier than most.

Cheers and happy growing!

dave

Comments (10)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Very nice, Dave. You can ask HD where they got their container lemon trees, and then contact the grower to find the name of the cultivar. Have fun with your new trees.

Patty S.

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

They have those pretty much every year. They're usually labeled with a colored plastic tag wrapped around the stem, but they fall off a lot, so not surprising that it's missing it.

I've got a couple of HD trees (An unknown mandarin, a navel orange, a bears lime, etc). Most of the cheaper ones are from cuttings... once you get up into the $30 or so trees you start getting grafted ones (the mandarin was one of those octagonal pots that's usually about $25, and is definitely on a poncirus or poncirus hybrid roostock)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Hey Dave

Last year Walmart and a couple grocery stores had pretty much the same trees. I picked up a bearrs limes for $5 on clearance. As far as I can tell it is a cutting. I re potted it and found no sign of a graft. the meyers looked to be the same.

mike

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I saw a lime on the clearance shelf at HD last year, but it looked pretty bad. They were def. cutting-grown.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Dave

Lowes by me just got in a bunch of tiny meyers and couple Key limes. $25 for a rooted cutting not even 1 foot tall. I about literally LMAO.

mike

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Mike..So did I!!

I can't even believe how much the Citrus Trees have risen here in the past year..

The ones at Lowe's which cost just 16.99 last year are now 24.99! That is what they were at the Nursery last year..This year those same little container ones are 29.99..lol
    The big grafted ones I saw today were 79.99 which were just 49.99 last year..

I guess the popularity of them is increasing along with the PRICE,,Sheesh..

Lowe's had over 50 little potted limes and meyers...I think since over half of them will be left behind by fall, if they survive, I'll wait for the sale..

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, May 22, 14 at 18:16

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I guess it just depends where you are. Last week Home Depot had 1 gallon cutting grown limes and lemons for $11.95. Most were Meyer Lemons and Mexican (Key) Limes with a few Lisbon Lemons mixed in.

The 5 gallon grafted citrus, from La Verne, were only $23.99 and there were a good variety, I picked up a Rio Red grapefruit and a Moro blood orange.

I feel some mixed feelings; I usually only buy from independent nurseries, but I was there to get drip irrigation parts, and the trees were just off the truck one day, nice a fresh, and I do like La Verne...so yeah. My mother's day gift to me. And a 5 gallon Hass Avocado.

• airplay355
    9 years ago

I stumbled upon a Tahitian lime at Home Depot today. It's about 4 feet tall and has around 26 limes on it now with a few more flowers still blooming. I'm pretty sure I can see a graft line but I'm very new to citrus. Anyway, it was priced at $45 but rang up for $22. I paid and ran to the car ASAP. They had oranges too but this was the only tree that was flowering. There were a few fig trees with figs on them though.

I guess the moral of the story is deals are out there :)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Which are the 'real' Key Limes?? I don't want Mexican.

Jane

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

"Key" limes and "Mexican" limes are the same thing. Same plant, called different names different places. It's also called "Bartender's Lime" and "West Indian" lime.

Botanical name; Citrus aurantiifolia

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus aurantiifolia