Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feuilles_urbaines

another leaf drop post - Chinotto orange

feuilles_urbaines
10 years ago

Hi,
First of all, I would like to apologize for a redundant question - but since leaf drop seems to have so many causes, I thought I'd give my story. I included alot of detail,to help find find a cause.

I bought a chinotto orange from a plant shop a bout a month ago - the blooms were outrageous! After making my appartment smell like hapiness for about 10 days, the blooms gradually fell, which I was expecting.(On warm sunny days it would go outside) After lurking on this forum, I decided to try repotting in a version of Al's gritty mix (I used bonsai mix), and feed with Foliage Pro and a TINY amount of vinegar. The plant was extremely root-bound, and is vitamin deficient.

I:
1) trimmed off bottom 1/3 of roots,being careful not to let them dry out. I noticed alot of the bottom roots just fell off on their own D:
2)Repotted in a slightly (2 inch) larger pot,using a bonsai mix which is almost identical to Al's mix. I could not find pine bark fines anywhere on the island of Montreal.
3)Fed with Foliage Pro at full strength,because the leaves seem to show vitamin deficiency.
4) Kept indoors for a week, which seemes to be the recommendation after doing root pruning.

Since then, the tree has begun losing lots of leaves,mostly from the interior of the plant. I'm not sure if I should be concerned? Or, as my b/f says, just "leave it the hell alone"?? On the other hand, there are new little leaves at the tips. Another concern I have is, since I repotted it 5 days ago, the soil is as damp as the day I repotted. There's no saucer under the pot. That doesn't seem normal,especially with citrus?? Is it rotting/waterlogged? Should I be concerned?

By now I've put some $$$ and effort into this beautiful plant, I'd really like to keep it healthy!

Thanks,
Kim

Comment (1)