Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer lemon tree pruning

Posted by andrew78 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 13:50

I bought a huge Meyer lemon tree back in March and now I want to prune it to encourage the tree to grow bushier instead of taller. Can I take the large branches and root them? I wa thinking of dipping them in root hormone and planting in perlite or vermiculite. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer lemon tree pruning

Andrew,
I think that normally you want very new growth to try to get to root. You will have better luck that way. If the limbs are not too big you might want to try grafting on to a root stock of your choice.
I'm out of ideas if they are to big. I don't know if there are any thing to do with them.

Charles

o
RE: Meyer lemon tree pruning

You do not want the new growth. You want to take the hardened growth below the new growth about pencil size diameter with 2-3 leaves. Plant in smaller pot, wet the soil and place in a large clear plastic bag or overturned 2-3 liter bottle with top cut off to make a mini greenhouse. Needs light and warmth to root. If you have the growth hormone then use it. Keep soil moist, do not allow it to dry out. In about 5-6 weeks if leaves still green then your okay, no peeking at the roots. Do not repot for first year. I have 6 moro blood oranges and 2 meyer lemons going right now. They are on their 3rd week and looking nice and green. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here