Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodlands73

Citrus Tree Trimming

woodlands73
9 years ago

My wonderful orange tree has taken a love to my backyard. It is growing amazingly every year. We've had it for 3 years. It went from a gallon pot to the ground as soon as we bought it. Each year it has doubled in size. It stands about 5 feet tall now, and ten feet across. I have kept the ground under the tree grass-free so far, but this year, the branches are sagging much lower. I can't get a weed-eater under them any longer; they will be touching the ground once the new fruit gets a little larger. Also, the tree is as large as the grass-free ring under it. Do I need to extend that grass-free ring? And do I need to trim off the beautiful, aged lower branches? I hate to trim off perfectly healthy branches, just to try to make things grow upwards. I will get a picture on here ASAP. I only have internet at work.

Comments (6)

• serge94501
    9 years ago

YES, on extending the grass-free ring. Go back 18-24 inches from the drip line I'd say.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Photos.

Patty S.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

Woodlands:
    Two things need to be considered. Very young trees need an extended grass free zone since they are very shallow rooted and cannot compete with grass. Roots will be out well past the "dripline". This is even more so if the rootstock is very shallow rooted Flying Dragon or Std Trifoliate. Provided they are growing at a decent rate, older trees in warmer zones should be able to compete when they are about seven feet . Make sure there is not grass growing up against the trunk.

In zones 9 and lower, tips of limbs need to hang down just to ground level to help hold in the heat coming up from bare ground during freezing weather. This is to protect the trunk. The bare ground is critical in this case, any grass or mulch acts to stop this natural passive heating. Pinching bud tips every 8" to 14" to encourage a filled out tree helps. The shape should be like an umbrella, not a leggy and sparse.

Sounds like your tree is happy and healthy. Good for you.

• woodlands73
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the delay, first time to get back to the internet. I am attempting to add pics. Thanks for your input(s) all. Hmmm, can only get one at a time.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Woodlands, you can upload your photos to a photo sharing site, such as photobucket.com, then simply copy and paste in the HTML code string right into the body of your message, which will embed photos directly into your message. You'll know you did it correctly, as when you click on the Preview button, all your photos will display.

And, what tantanman said :-) If you're in a higher zone, and have less of a chance of freezing, you can "limb up". I tend to leave my trees with branches close to the ground, as I can on rare occasion, have freezing temps. But, I do try to keep them from touching the ground, as it is an avenue for snails and slugs to get into the canopy (besides the trunk).

Patty S.

• woodlands73
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Patty, I'll do just that. As you may be able to see, the tiny orange tree in the corner of my four trees, struggles each year. I planted that one before the larger one here in front. But the back one keeps getting hit hard every other year by late frosts. Each time it drops all its leaves, I have to trim off dead wood, but it storms back with fruit and all each season. I am going to give it to my neighbor. I think he'll be able to give it the attention it needs. All my other trees seen here (peach, plum, and orange) are stabilized, and require a different type of care; predator prevention.