Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange blossoms fall before oranges can grow

Posted by jwalker720 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 14:16

I have had an in-ground dwarf orange tree in my backyard for 3, if not 4 years now. When it was purchased and planted it already had several wonderful oranges on it. The years following, have not produced a single orange. I have observed that while the tree seems to be thriving and the blooms are in abundance, the blooms along with the tiny green balls that would be future oranges at their bases, fall completely to the ground before oranges get a chance to grow. What is going on and how can I prevent it from happening? I still have some blooms on the tree as of right now, but hundreds have already fallen to the ground. Would like to save a few this year, if possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange blossoms fall before oranges can grow

I hope you get some helpful responses because I am having the same problem. For the past two years my satsuma tree has bloomed heavily and produced small fruit. As the fruit gets to a little larger than a bb it starts falling off. So far hundreds have dropped and it looks like another year without any fruit. I sure hope someone can help with an answer and solution.

o

My Washington Navel has thousands of blooms and about 95-98% fall off. That still leaves a good crop. If your tree is growing well and gets enough sun, then it should do the same. Are you sure it's not too wet or too dry?

o

I would be happy if I could get just ONE orange per year, but ALL of the blossoms inevitably fall off and no oranges are ever produced. As Sharona describes above, they look like green BBs at the base of the blooms, and then the whole thing falls off. I would think it is getting the proper amount of water since it otherwise looks beautiful and is thriving.

o

Your fruit is just aborting, that's what most of them do. Question is what is causing the fruit to abort. Usually it is stress (too wet or too dry), not enough light, tree too young, or possibly lack of pollination. All my citrus sets without pollination. I'm not aware of any where that's a possibility. But it's common in other fruit.

o

I just checked on my tree and can't find any remaining fruit at all. The tree was about 4' tall when planted 4 years ago and had plenty of small fruit which ripened just fine that first year. The next 2 years it produced no new growth and didn't even bloom, which I subsequently determined was because I had planted it in too low an area where the drainage was poor and its feet stayed too wet. I relocated it to higher ground where drainage is fine, it is in full son and looks to be the picture of health. Since relocating it 2 years ago it has grown to about 7' tall, produced tons of new growth, bloomed prolifically and produced an abundance of fruit, which as I said all falls off when it gets a little larger than bb size. The tree has full sun, adequate water and drainage, good fertilization using citrus specific fertilizers, etc. It's supposed to be a self pollinating tree (so I was told) but am wondering if I just need another tree in the yard to provide for cross pollination.

o

I had the same problem with my trees. This year I started fertilizing once a month, put edging around my trees to form a water well & watering deeply every four days. All of my trees are holding fruit!!

o

Hi, Jwalker720. Hope you don't mind us asking something in your thread. :-)

Hi, Bellcanyonblonde! Wanted to confirm. So you started to fertilize your fruit trees once a month? And ALL of your trees kept the fruit? Wow! Are you still using the slow release fertilizers for fruit trees that are instructed for every 3 months or so? We'd love to learn how we can better care for our fruit trees too! So that the blossoms and fruit stays on! :-)

o

I have an Orange tree that I grew from seed that I planted when I was 4 years old. 51 years (yikes) later, I still drag it in and out of the house. I repot it every few years, and some seasons it has exquisite smelling flowers which "abort" as well.
I will repot it as soon as the weather warms consistently (I live in NY). It seems-after reading Bellcanyonblonde's post- that I don't water or fertilize enough. Thanks...I'll try that and maybe I'll get some fruit yet!

o

Help... I have a orange tree about nine years. Every year bloomed heavily and produced small oranges. After two weeks the little oranges starts falling off the tree.My tree produce ZERO fruit... Whats is the problem and solution... Please advise.

o
RE: orange tree can't hold oranges on tree

RE: Oranges fall off after blooming hundreds off oranges, tiny oranges falls to the ground, orange leaves turning yellow at time of blooming please help!!

o

JWaker, there is nothing wrong with your tree. A citrus tree produces many more blooms then will every produce fruit. If every bloom resulted in fruit, the tree would be crushed under it own weight. Normally, only 1 to 1-1/2 percent of citrus blooms result in a fruit the remains on the tree untill maturity, the rest are discarded.

o

JWalker, can you provide a picture of the tree and any closeups of the yellow leaves and/or the oranges before they fall?

It is very possible you are under or over-watering, that will cause both the yellowing and fruitlet drop. However, as was posted it is completely normal (and expected) for a healthy tree to drop 99% of it's blossoms and tiny fruitlets. However, once the fruit is marble sized, it is less common for drops to occur. It is also normal for a tree 3 years old and less to do so.

So you see, it depends on timing and other factors. But "help my orange tree drops all blossoms" is a common newbie concern posted repeatedly and in most cases unnecessarily. But with more information we may be able to provide some actual advice.

It is also best practice to start a new thread rather than post onto the end of an existing one. The original poster may have set the system to Email notify whenever a reply is posted -- which will now generate an email message every time WE correspond about YOUR topic.

Chris

o

I am having the same issues. I have 2 trees which are 10 feet apart, each is about 4 - 5 feet tall and they continue to grow quite a bit every year. I haven't trimmed them down (to make it grow as a tree rather than a bush) but expect to next year or after the buds fall off. They have both been planted for 3 - 4 years. When I initially planted them they were full of oranges. The first year after they were planted one of them had a lot of oranges and one of them had none. The past year I didn't get any and now i'm showing lots of buds and small green bulbs (oranges to be). If there is anything I can do to ensure these do not fall of again then please let me know.

-Jeff

o

Jeff, how frequently are you watering your trees and how frequently (and with what) are you fertilizing?

Patty S.

o

I am getting the same issues. I have 2 trees which are 10 feet apart. They have both been planted for 3 - 4 years. When I initially planted them they were full of oranges. the past year I didn't get any and now im showing lots of buds and small green bulbs (oranges to be). If there is anything I can do to ensure these do not fall of again then please let me know.

o

I apologize for the accidental post. I am watering them every week (that might be my problem). I am using a citrus fertilizer (small pellets). I recently trimmed down a tree above one of the orange trees so that it can get more light.

o

Boron
Boron is what helps a tree hold onto its fruit. Make sure your fertiliser has it. Or better still, add Trace Elements to your 'three times yearly' fertilising. Make sure the trace elements has boron in it.

o

The tree's are probably still to young
maybe not.When there are flowers and
just after bloom keep plant moist, I wouldn'
let them dry out critical time
for the young fruit.I usually miracle grow a
little with every watering, for me great results.
Hang in there you will have lots of fruit before
you know it. Patience really is a vertue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here