Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalstuff

Just got a Ponderosa Lemon Tree (pic)

naturalstuff
17 years ago

I just got this for our 5 yr anniversary. So right after this post I'll be searching the net for tips on caring for this plant.

But I like the "personal" variety of opinions here so I need to ask these questions. I plan on bringing it in for the winter like my parents do.

There are no flowers on this one and it looks sick to me, but I dont know. So -

~ Should I transplant into a bigger pot, what size?

~ What type of Soil should I use?

~ Would Miracle Soluable Plant food be good for it?

~ Does it like heat?

~ Should I keep it in Full sun or part sun?

~ When do the lemons grow?

~ Why are the leaves faded and have white spots?

~ What PH level do they like?

~ Should I prune anything on it?

~ Is there anything else I need to know about this lemon tree?

Thank you all.

{{gwi:585789}}

{{gwi:585791}}

{{gwi:585793}}

Comments (14)

• naturalstuff
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mike, can't tell you thanks enough for that reply! I did notice some twigs were pruned already. Probably at the nursery. I have been reading and reading but your post was a bit more informative. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that no flowers are on this one. I'll post some pics of my parents Lemon plant which they have in a big container which they bring in & out for the seasons.

Should I be concered of no flowers?

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Wow, your tree is beautiful. I too want to congratulate you.
    1. Only repot if the roots are crowded. In other words, if roots are sticking out of the top soil and creeping out drainge holes.
    2. There are many different type of soil mediums, everyone has different opinions of which is best..I use all purpose (black soil) peat moss, sand and Perlite. The sand and perlite are used so the soil drains better, and the soil doesn't constantly stay wet. There are so many different possibilities.
    3. Miracle Gro for acidic plants works fine, but I'd alternate w/either a citrus or azalia food. Follow container directions on all fertilizers.
    4. Citrus like natural heat but in winter when you bring them indoors, don't place near a heating vent. Direct heat is the worse thing. Gas heat dries out leaves like you can't believe.
    5. Citrus love the brightest sun..but when u first take it outside in spring, do so slowly. You don't want it to sunburn. After a while it'll live in the brightest sun possible.
    6. Lemons go througout the year. Even in mid winter.
    7. What do the white spots look like? Do u know what mealy bugs are and look like?
    8. pH for citrus can be anywhere from 4.5-7.0
    9. Only prune dead stems. Sometimes when a plant is pruned this can ruin chances of flowers and fruit.
    The main thing to know is, keep citrus in bright sun, they prefer a summer outside. Keep away from heaters in winter. I keep my room temsp on the cool side in winter. Mist daily and use a humidifer if possible. I also use indoor foutanins..Check wkly for insects. If possible, hose citrus down or give a shower..
    It's best to use tepid water that's been sitting out all night, or at least 24 hours. I save old milk containers.

Fertilize from Mar-Oct..in winter either stop or cut back.

Good luck w/your new tree..it really looks fantastic.
    I see the white stuff you mean, which I believe to be insecticideal sprays..Hose off and let air dry. Toni

• naturalstuff
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks hopefulauthor. Hey, just noticed this growing. Can I assume these are lemons??

{{gwi:585794}}

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Natural, what you're seeing are flower buds..Hopefully, after flowers fade, they'll develope little lemons. You should see tiny balls that are the fruit. But for the time being, enjoy the fragrance..Toni

• naturalstuff
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a bunch hopefularthor. Here's a better pic, I think.

{{gwi:585795}}

• naturalstuff
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amazing how this plant took off. I'd like to meet the grower and know what he put in there because I'll be transplanting in the winter.

{{gwi:585831}}

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Natural, those flowers are incredible. Wait till they open, the fragrance..um..I can smell them now. Your tree really does look nice, bet that was a happy happy anniversary gift..Toni

• naturalstuff
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Toni, I can't believe the fragrance of the flowers! I'll have to post a picture for you. Unbelievable! I would have never thought.

• angie83
    17 years ago

Wow Naturalstuff thats a beautiful plant very happy I have a key lime but no flower on any of my citrus health growth but no flower hope to get some soon gratz on that healthy lemon tree.
    angie

• sanastas
    15 years ago

I think this is the Lemon Tree we bought 18 months ago.
    We wanted to buy a lemon tree and Home Depot had 2 kinds.
    Pink something or other and the one we bought.
    Its full of fruit that is larger than a grapefruit.
    The fruit started growing in Feb and has gone from dark green to light green.
    Should I wait until its yellow to pick it.
    I can add pictures if that helps.

• yggep
    15 years ago

My ponderosa lemon tree seems to have gnats in the soil they are tiny little bugs that fly. How do I get rid of them?

• palmfan
    9 years ago

They're fungus gnats. I think they're more a nuisance than a real problem. Not sure of best way to eliminate them. Somebody here on this forum probably has a relatively non-toxic remedy. I suspect spraying with horticultural oil, or Neem, will control them effectively without making your fruit toxic. The oil kills by suffocation, not poison. Just spray the soil surface thoroughly, and I think your problem will be over.

• palmfan
    9 years ago

They're fungus gnats. I think they're more a nuisance than a real problem. Not sure of best way to eliminate them. Somebody here on this forum probably has a relatively non-toxic remedy. I suspect spraying with horticultural oil, or Neem, will control them effectively without making your fruit toxic. The oil kills by suffocation, not poison. Just spray the soil surface thoroughly, and I think your problem will be over.