Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice growing a new Ponderosa lemon tree in zone 5

Posted by pezzuti9 z5 PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 07 at 14:32

I would appreciate anyone that knows about growing the Ponderosa lemon tree from a youngster to adult hood.

My new young tree has just pushed out three flower buds on
one of it's tiny lower branches. The whole tree is only about 14 inches tall. Would the wise thing to do now is remove them because of the age of the tree?
I am in zone 5 and have been growing a Meyers Lemon tree for years. Making sure that I take it indoors before the cold weather arrives.

I need to know what size pot should I use for it when it gets larger? Do I basically take the same care of this plant as I have taken care of my Meyers with good results?
What can I expect in the way of its growing size. Will the container control somewhat it's size? Can I prune it and when?

If any of you are growing this variety any advice may be of use to me.
Thanks in advance,
Lou NE., PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice growing a new Ponderosa lemon tree in zone 5

Lon, treat your Ponderosa the same way you do as your Meyers..(as long as your Meyer's is doing well)
Good light, well-draining soil..when it's time to repot, go up 1-2 sizes. As for pruning, do so for shape..
They love being outdoors in summer, but acclimate plant to sun..Don't set out in direct sun automatically..do so gradually until plant adjusts to light.
Fertilize with a Citrus fertilizer, following directions. Good luck w/your new plant, enjoy..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here