Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveisblind1

How long does it take for a lemon to mature from bud to mature?

loveisblind1
11 years ago

Hi I have about 13 small little lemon buds on my 3 year old dwarf lemon tree. I had it for over 2 weeks now and it really doesn't look like it has gotten any bigger. How long does it take for it to grow from bud to a ripened lemon?

Comments (23)

• Dr.Citrus
    11 years ago

I have no personal experience but I have ready anywhere from 2-4 months depending on conditions. I would read up on your specific type of lemon (Meyer Lemon?) and see what the experts say.

-Doc Citrus

• timsf
    11 years ago

You don't mention where you live, but here in CA, lemon season (particularly for Meyers) is during the winter months until about March (so certainly more than 2-4 months!). More mature trees will have a second minor harvest in the fall (and very old trees may bear almost year-round). However, since your tree is still quite young, I'd say count on a winter harvest.

Also, very young trees will lose most/all of their baby fruit. Not to worry/you should expect this, since citrus will automatically self thin, knowing how much fruit they can successfully hold to term (related to how many leaves are present).

Tim

• loveisblind1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello. I live in San diego, ca. And it is a meyer lemon. Wow, I will have to wait for the fall or winter? O_O

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Tim is steering you in the correct direction. The Meyer, when established, will bloom pretty much all the time, but mainly in the spring. You'll see new blooms pushing out as you should be picking the previous season's ripe fruit. My Improved Meyer is probably 6 - 7 years old, and I am enjoying ripe fruit almost all year 'round. 3 years ago, when we first bought the house and moved in at the very beginning of Sept, the last year's fruit crop was still on the tree. We picked off all the old fruit, but it did cause the tree to try to try to alternate bear the following year, so since then, we've tried to be diligent in picking ripe fruit. Meyer's a very prolific producers once they get established. Takes a citrus about 3 years in the ground to start producing reliably. You'll get some fruit before, but it will be not the tree's best effort. And, as Tim mentioned, a lot of fruit drop is normal for young trees, as the tree works to establish itself, all normal.

Patty S.

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

Here in South Georgia the Meyer's lemon blooms starts in late February to early April. The fruit yellow-up as John had noted when the weather turns cooler in October with final picking late December to January.

• mon131
    3 years ago

I got my first lemon tree a few months ago and it just produced its very first flower!! I live in zone 7 and will need to bring it in some time in October. I read online that it can take up to a year for a flower to ripen into a fruit. Is that accurate? If not, how much time does it typically take? Also, will it upset the tree if I bring it indoors midway through fruit development?

• Silica
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It can take anywhere from 4 to 6 months to a year for a lemons to ripen depending on where the fruit is grown.

• mon131
    3 years ago

@silica will it upset the tree if I bring it in while fruit are still in the process of ripening? And do you know if they’ll grow to full ripeness indoors?

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

idont know ask Steve

• Silica
    3 years ago

With enough light and heat, plus water the fruit will "ripen". Some nutrition should also be given to a tree in fruit. A point of clarification: Citrus do not ripen, they mature.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

My Meiwa kumquats sure did and so did my New Zealand lemonade.

Steve

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

to por nicus guy6b452xx can u tell me if I'm doing things right I cut back my young citrus seedlings to make them bushy and I'm using homemade liquid fertilizer made from grass clippings and adding Epsom salts to give magnesium to my young lemon trees Howard Martin

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

they get full morning sun and early afternoon son and I apply my fertilizer in a spray bottle and the fine mist is an aresole sized droplets

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would use about a 1/4 teaspoon Epsom salts per quart. If you spray in the morning the leaves can dry up quickly and limit chances of fungal problems. Pictures would help so Ican see the plant.

Steve

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

Okay I'm doing most of it right I'm using a tablespoon of epsom salts and spray it in the morning and one my trees is responding like my clay soil in my flowerpot must have been magnesium deficient

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

but I will have to show you later this morning

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

one of my citrus is responding

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

the one in the picture is the one responding

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

What is the leaf from down lower it the pot. Is it another lemon tree.

Steve

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

my other citrus tree

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

yes it is another lemon tree these varieties I don't know

• HU-96664383689
    3 years ago

Hi

i have About 15 little green Lemons on my tree for the last 1 month and doesn’t seem to get ripe(yellow) in colour,how long does it take to get ripe please advise thank you