Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Tangerine!! help!

Posted by kbeard2323 Z9b Tampa, FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 14:48

We hit it with a heavy done of fungicide two weeks ago and it has continued to get worse. What started as spots and progressed to yellowing leaves and a leaf drop has now led to open sores on this tree. Six months ago I would have told you this was the happiest tree on the block, we got an amazing crop of fruit from it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12437565@N08/7288700076/in/photostream

Please please tell us what we can do to save this tree. Should I cut off the branch with the open sore? That is the only one like it on the tree, other than that we have spots bigger than a silver dollar on the branches and some leaves yellowing/dropping.

Possible I could have overfertilized it, but that would've been many weeks ago.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Tangerine!! help!

Have you called or visited your local extension office? In a citrus state, you'll find them more than happy to help.

o

Dang. The first thing that comes to mind is some kind of Canker or crown rot(Phytophthora)?

That tree looks pretty old also. How old is it?

That will keep spreading and getting worse. If that was my tree I would have chopped it off at about 2 feet down on healthy wood and treated the open cut and area with copper. But I know how hard it is to cut a tree that you love.

Do a search on Phytophthora spp. on Citrus. Its no joke. It usually starts lower from root damage or rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

o
RE: Tangerine!! help!

If that is Phytophthora parasitica I think once it takes hold there is really nothing you can do. You can treat the soil with a systemic fungicide but I dont know of any systemic fungicides. If its too bad you cannot fix it and your tree will die.

If your tree is OLD it might just be its time. I have heard of trees putting out HUGE bumper crops the year or two before they die. I dont know though and I wish you well.

I would definitely take some samples to your extension office NOW.

o

kbeard, we should stress that anyone growing citrus in a state where citrus is an important crop has a responsibility to report difficult or very sick trees to your Extension office asap. Homeowner cooperation is essential in saving the citrus industry in Florida. It may not be something lethal and they can also help you with that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's call your Extension Office right away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here