Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
egg shell & vinegar for kumquat on own roots

Posted by poncirusguy micro(zone-6.8,ahs-8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 15:03

For micro nutrients I currently use roofing nails soaked in vinegar to chelate the zinc and Iron .I get my manganese from chips off a heavily used railway track and soak it in vinegar. For magnesium I can use epsom salt. The question. should I use eggshell and if so do I powder it in mortar and pestle or dissolve it in vinegar. Any advice would be appreciated.

KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 01-20 B photo KUMQUATMEIWA01-20-13B_zps45193ba0-1.jpg
This is my seed grown meiwa kumquat tree it will be used on. I also have 2 happy nagami 's also from seed along with 4 sweet lee tangerine trees from seed.

Thanks steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: egg shell & vinegar for kumquat on own roots

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 17:03

Im curious. How do you know exactly how much of the metals you are giving the trees if any at all?

o

My poncirus tree starts getting yellowish leave. I give it a tablespoon of this fluid after all chemical reactions have stopped,. With in a week the leaves green up and the new leaves start out green. After about another month the new leaves start coming out yellow and I hit it again. The kumquat trees do not show this as quick but they are also sensitive and I treat it when my PT are in need. The smart thing to do is graft my meiwa kumquat to the PT's but after about 30 attempts I decided to grow nagami s for interstock and try again. Buying a tree is not an $$$-option.

photo IMG_2904_zpsa9ba50f1.jpg
MY PONCIRUS TRIFOLIATA

MY NAGAMI KUMQUAT AND MEIWA GROWN FROM SEED.CLICK LINK BELOW

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5869826671114565057/5869826835853592178?banner=pwa

o

Should the eggshells be composted and aged first

o

I've always understood that eggshells do help add calcium to soil in the LONG run but would not break down quickly enough to help soon - especially for container plants.

o

you are better off using gypsum

o

Thanks fellow citrus'ers, for responding and helping out. with my question. I think its to the compost pile for the eggshells and I'll stick to more readily available nutrients for my citrus trees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here