Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraine_miller7704

Black lemons

Lorraine Miller
9 years ago

These were once yellow. All have turned black. Did I do something wrong. How can I correct the problem if I have one I don't know why they turned black. I have small new leaves that have not turned yellow or have brown spots yet

Comments (6)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Those are just aborted fruit that the tree can't support because it is too young, not enough food, etc. Lemons normally stay green until they are mature; and then turn yellow; any that turn yellow at small size are being aborted and you can take them off... I would...before they get black.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

We need photos of your tree, not the dropped fruit :-) Dropped fruit can be perfectly normal with a young tree. But, we can't know what's going on unless we can see the tree. And, we can't know what you might be doing wrong, if you don't tell us what you're actually doing :-) We would need to know whether this tree is in a container, in the ground, what zone you're in (citrus zones or not), watering, potting medium, fertilizing products and frequency, etc. You need to give us much more info and several good photos so we can help you out.

Patty S.

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tree is in a pot, zone is 9. Tree is a month old , has some new leaves, how many are yellowish with brown spots. Have only used miracle grow lightly. Brought Jobe fruit and citus fertilizer, not sure how often to use it?
    Testing for 1 inch dry, then I water, usually about every week. Spray lightly with neem. Don't know what else I should do.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

It's normal for a healthy citrus to drop 40 percent or more of its small fruits.

Potted trees are stressed trees. They'll drop even more.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Okay, so you've re-potted the tree?? Or, is it in its original pot? Sounds like it is outside all the time I am guessing?? Your tree is young, this is perfectly normal. If you haven't re-potted, if you do, be sure to use a well draining potting mix. You still haven't told us where you live, so it's hard to tell you how porous to make your mix. If you live on the west coast or AZ, then you can make a less porous mix, as our summers are very dry, even in AZ with the monsoon rains you get. If you're on the east coast, where it rains frequently during the summer, a more porous mix would be better. Most of us with container citrus prefer to use a time release fertilizer such as Osmocote Plus, which has a great NPK ratio for citrus, plus all the micros. Then, we also will use Dyna Gro's Foliage Pro water soluble fertilizer, which also has a great NPK ratio for citrus and all the micros. I use Foliage Pro full strength once a month. I prefer these two products, as the fertilizer salts don't tend to build up as much as other products, which are better used with in-ground citrus. I will water when I see some wilt, about once a week in the cool season, 2 to 3 times a week during hotter summer months. Lemons tend to need more fertilization than other citrus. Stop spraying with Neem unless you are having bug issues, you may be burning your leaves if your temps are over 85 degrees. If you have circular round spots, it may be something fungal (again, we don't know where you live, so can't tell you if that's a possibility). Those in more humid climates will have more issues with fungal issues such as Greasy Spot. Not really an issue out here on the west coast, where our relative humidity levels are not high enough to have this issue.

Patty S.

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have repotted the tree. Good drainage. I live in zone 9 , South Carolina. I ordered Jobe citus fertilizer on line. Waiting for it. Can I use that along with Dyna Gro's soluble water fertilizer. Will not use Neem unless I see bugs. Average temperature is 90. trees stay outside 24/7. Gets plenty of sun. I usually test with my finger about an inch, if dry I water