Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
44david2

Can this lemon tree be saved?

44David2
10 years ago

Cross-post from a fruits and orchard post
I was recommended here...

This lemon tree has suffered, and I think the cause is that it has a pot (and maybe soil) that doesn't drain. The soil stays wet for a while. The leaves yellowed then dropped. The spot also gets a lot of sun. I was thinking to get a new pot for this, and wondering if the plant would come back.

The generous advice so far is:
-it maybe could come back
-water it carefully (I've been avoiding watering since the soil stays moist)
-shot of foliar food
-add N to soil to stimulate leaves
-after flowers drop add citrus food (?), pick off tiny lemons
-repot after leaves and branches start up again

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Post

Comments (8)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

David,
    The thing you have to focus on is this is a MEYER lemon, which has special needs and "sensitivities". Lucky for you there are lots of people here with lots of experiences... good and bad, from which you can learn; the majority of them are container growers, so you have come to the right place. BTW, if it is possible to plant your tree inground, it is a LOT more forgiving than in container.

My motto: If life gives you lemons, pray they are Meyers.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Most likely, David. Re-pot right away and use a better draining potting medium. If you search for "gritty mix" or "511 mix" on this forum, you'll find recipes for making your own, well draining potting mix. Once you re-pot, you can try fertilizing in about 3 weeks with 1/2 strength Foliage Pro by Dyna Gro. That should help perk your plant up. Once you start seeing flush, you know you've turned the corner. Continue watering only when the tree needs it, and I would water every time with 1/2 strength fertilizer. If you've let the roots dry out, then only water with plain water, and you can then come back in a couple of days, and water with 1/2 strength fertilizer. Just remember, never apply fertilizer to bone dry roots.

Patty S.

• 44David2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What does "seeing flush" mean?

I have one message for re-pot right away and one for waiting, I'm uncertain what to do.

• yakkwak
    10 years ago

Flush = cycle of new growth.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

My best advice... wait a bit until the flowers are finished; you could re-pot now; but it will only add more stress to the tree; and it REALLY does not need more stress now.

You could trust me on this; I have a fair amount of experience with Meyers.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Just remember, never apply fertilizer to bone dry roots.

Patty S.

Thanks Patty. I did not know that and that will help me in the future.

Steve

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Hello Patty,

I am a "lurker" on this site and yours, MikeMeyer's and JohnMerr's advice is spot on. Thank you all so much for helping us out with our little trees. Sometimes, I even copy and paste your comments in a word doc!.

Nerry

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I think that the plant should be removed from the container with no drainage immediately. In lieu of going through the process of making your own potting medium, you could simply improve a good commercial mix by adding a substantial percentage of petlite. I belueve it to be imperative that the tree be transplanted now, no waiting.

You cannot water properly nor fertilize in this container. The roots do not have access to oxygen, without which they will die. Keeping this plant in the same container for another day is too long.

A good fertilization practice for container plants is to water thoroughly and allow the excess to drain away.....then water again lightly with soluble fertilizer added.