Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markbampton

Myer Lemon flowering but not growing

MarkBampton
12 years ago

Hello Meyer expert,

I have an 18 inch Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree that I bought from Home Depot last August. I live in Inland Southern California.

When I first got the tree, for about the first two months, it was growing new leaves and new branches. Then in October it flowered all over, this produced no fruit as the December cold made it all fall off. But again in January it flowered like crazy and now I have tons of marble sized baby lemons all over it. My concern is that I really want the tree to grow to 3 or 4 feet, but it has stopped growing leaves and branches and just flowered again even though it is already covered in baby lemons.

I may have been over watering it, I just bought a moisture meter and it was maxed out even though I hadn't watered in a week. Could this be the reason for excessive flowering and no branch/leaf growth?

I also live in an apartment and the plant is on a balcony where it gets dispersed sunlight (through a giant Birch tree 20 feet away) from dawn till 12:30, then bright direct sun from 12:30 till 3pm, then shade until dusk. Could this be the cause of the excessive flowering and no branch/leaf growth? I want the tree to grow to about four feet because then (as long as it grows towards the light, like plants are supposed to) it will grow out from under the balcony roof and get direct sun for most of the day.

I have fertilized with Scotts Citrus fertilizer once in January.

Please help!

Thanks for reading the long post,

Mark Bampton, Brea California

Comments (2)