Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Overwintering citrus in Minnesota?

nick_b79
9 years ago

Hello all. I've been tempted to purchase a few potted dwarf citrus for my house (Meyer lemon, lime, kumquat) for years now, and the local nursery has some beautiful specimens in stock.

My plan is to keep them outdoors during the spring and summer, and once temps start falling in mid-Sept. to bring them indoors for the winter. I would store them in the addition over our garage, which we just use for storage now and shut off from the rest of the house to conserve heat. We keep the thermostat up there set at 45-50F to ensure the pipes don't freeze, and it has several large windows on the south side that provide ample winter sun. I understand that this may reduce their productivity, but I'm willing to accept a few less fruit if it means they stay happy and healthy for many years to come.

Would this be suitable for overwintering these plants, or have I left something out of my plans? Also, what kind of watering regiment should I use while they're indoors? I'm thinking they'd need to be kept on the dry side while the temps are cooler.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus