Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serge94501

Sumo seedling - next move?

serge94501
9 years ago

Success! Two seedlings are up and away. So now...what's my next move? Do I ditch the little one since it's (probably) not a clone? Do I move the plant outdoors? When do I repot?

Kind of excited here even though it might be 10 years before I see any fruit.....and it might not even be Sumo!

Comments (10)

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Congrats Serge I would let them both grow as I believe they are from 2 separate seeds . They are spaced I think to far apart to be both coming from the same seed. I would hold off a couple of weeks to transplant as the roots I'm sure are very small and you might end up breaking them off . I really hope you hear from Steve because he is our expert on growing from seed. Keep us posted on their progress .

Brian

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Grow them both for now, but keep an eye on the big one.
    Definitely wait until there are a few developed leaves before separating them - and when you do take them outside, put them in some shade only. They'll be very tender and need to harden off to wind and temperature.

Josh

• serge94501
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's today's look. I think I am looking at the product of 4 or 5 seeds. The two shoots that are very close together and about the same height could be from 1 or 2 seeds. The other 3 are surely from individual seeds. The biggest one is just now starting to shoots of little siblings - should those get trimmed? If so, when? How much taller before I repot? Thanks!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

It's not about height, it's about leaf-development (as I mentioned in my previous post).

Josh

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Citrus roots tend to not tangle so you will be safe keeping them there until about 6 inch tall. Also with more trees in the same pot, the trees will use the water faster. This may prevent root rot. What I have found to be the biggest problem is stem rot so water from underneath and in the morning so the day light can hold any soil surface fungus in check. I loose 9 out of 10 plants to damp-off (stem rot) I have used root-tone on the stem with great success. I also plant the tree permanently with about a quarter of an inch of root showing The root is a lot more resistant to damp-off.

Watch out for sunburn when you first expose the root. Expose it slowly. You can put them out now on the north side of your house and slowly allow them to get sunlight in the morning and evening. This will produce a plant at 10-14 leaves per 6 inch in height. I put the plants on the south side with a piece of glass blocking direct sunlight 3 hour ether side of solar noon. AS my plants grew bigger I had water melon vines shading the trunk so only the leaves got sun

Best of luck. You got the heat of summer with you coming.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sun, May 18, 14 at 15:43

• serge94501
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Steve I don't think they're going to make it to 5-6 inches. They are at about 3 now and are starting to lose their vigor - drooping leaves which once were stout. I think the end is near. There's no saving them if the dreaded damp off has hit, right?

• otcay
    8 years ago

more sun and heat

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Serge

I just noticed your comment now. Damp off is 100% death in citrus once it starts.

otcay

Pics please

Steve

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    8 years ago

I dont think sumo/dekopon seedlings are all the vigorous of plants anyways. I have one that I germinated a couple years ago and it is still only about 3 inches tall. Its healthy but teeny tiny.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I thought I had read that the Sumo were finicky, but my trees from Harris Nursery are some of my most vigorous trees. I have 2. I got them last spring and they have set fruit already and have been the only trees so far that have not been attacked so far by scale. The fruits are about 2 inches already and a cute shape with the knob on top. No leaf drop this winter or any die back either. I don't know what rootstock they are on. I have about 40 different types of citrus growing in a small greenhouse in NJ sharing space with my orchid collection. Good luck with yours.

Shiranui/Dekopon/Sumo #2

Shiranui/Dekopon/Sumo #1

These pictures were taken a few weeks ago, and they are now sprouting lots of new growth and more flowers since it has finally warmed up. These fruits set from flowers that were in bloom in mid-January.

Sorry if these come out sideways. I can not tell how they come out from my phone. Usually if they are sideways for me, most people tell me they look correct on their devices, and vice versa. I am assuming they look correct for you as they are sideways for me.

Cory