Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Color at harvest

Posted by Randy31513 Georgia 8b (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 16:02

Am I color blind? On another thread, Patty and John suggested of a ripe Meyer's to be yellow to dark yellow. I always wait for them to have an orange color.

I noticed in the stores Meyer's are mostly yellow.

Randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Color at harvest

If you leave them until the dark yellow/orange color, the fruit is technically overripe and will have less juice than if harvested earlier. For me the darker the color the better to eat, especially the skin; but when picked you will notice the fruit has a very thin skin and will only last a few days after harvest. Not a problem if you are going to consume them when you pick them. The darker skin color in part depends on how cool your nights are and also on the difference between day and night temps... the greater the difference and the cooler the nights the faster the lemon will color and the darker will be the final color.

o

John thanks so much for the answer. As you posted I do notice when the nights get cooler the color deepens quickly.

Randy

o

Actually the color is there from the time the fruit reaches 8.5 brix; you don't see it as the chlorophyll hides the yellow. As the fruit matures further and nights get cooler, the combination degrades the chlorophyll and exposes the underlying yellow. Somewhat technical and unimportant to hobby growers; but it might pop up on a trivia quiz someday and you will know the answer.

o

Randy, for me, my Meyers store extremely well. They can last weeks in my house, compared to my unknown lemon (probably a Sorrento or some Italian lemon of some sort), which decidedly do not store well, and will rot. Waiting until they're over ripe - and for me here in Calif., where I probably have more temp separations than does John in Guatemala, they will turn an orangish yellow if over-ripe, and they do develop that piney flavor. Some folks call it an "off-flavor". I just let my over ripe Meyers sit in the house for about a week, and that off-flavor goes away, and they actually get a bit sweeter. And, if you've ever seen oranges in Jamaica or Hawaii, they're pretty much green due to very little temperature divergence. Perfectly ripe, just green :-)

Patty S.

o

Patty and John that is interesting. I have tried different colors when picking but to me the more orange the better. John from a commercial stand point I can see why orange would be overripe.

Randy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here