Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mc510

Diagnose yellow leaves on lemon tree?

mc510
9 years ago

My three year old Eureka lemon tree has never been quite right, but now the leaves are REALLY going yellow, looking almost bleached out in places and dead at the tips in a few cases. From the images here http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/C107/m107bpleaftwigdis.html it almost looks like sodium or boron toxicity, but those just don't make sense ... we generally have good soil and tap water here, and have had good rain over the past few months to leach bad stuff out of the soil. I'm near Berkeley CA, same cool climate. Can anyone tell from my pictures what's a likely cause?

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Diseases and Disorders of Leaves and Twigs (UC Davis)

This post was edited by mc510 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 16:16

Comments (7)

• mc510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another picture

• mc510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not so bad on this branch, but it's the only one that looks halfway decent.

• mc510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been more diligent about watering and fertilizing (Vigoro citrus formula) over the past couple of months, and my lime and oroblanco grapefruit trees are now looking MUCH better (though they never looked as bad as the lemon). But the lemon tree is not improving at all! Lime, oroblanco, and lemon are all in the same part of the yard, same soil, same sunlight, etc. Very frustrating!

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I wish I knew what the issue might be with your Eureka Lemon tree, I've had some issues with a few yellowing leaves on my Meyer but not quite as bad as your 1st and 2nd picture...I have changed my care the last 5 months and have watered more and fertilized my Citrus trees a lot more often (in weaker dosage) and that has made a huge difference in the color and health of the trees...Your Eureka might have been a lot more stressed or had more issues before than the rest of your trees that's probably why its not responding to the extra TLC, sometimes we get to them too late and its hard to turn them around :o(

Good luck!!

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I don't know if this is the case with your trees, but I've had that happen to a couple of my Meyer lemons when I've been lax about fertilizing. They tend to need fertilizing at about twice the frequency as my other citrus. Maybe your Eureka also needs a bit more food than the other citrus.

Also, I've not found the yellow leaves to really green up again, at least not much. Usually what happens when they get to that point is they tend to drop the yellow leaves over time and replace them with new leaves. If I've been good about fertilizing, the new ones will be nice and green.
    So I think if you keep up the better care, the next flush of leaves should be much greener.

This post was edited by BarbJP on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 13:42

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

You are all from HOT areas right?

I would be surprised if it was just heat stress and will subside when your ground temps cool off a bit..At least this is the case for potted plants...
    Sometimes too much sun can literally baked them, no?

No sure, but when my Aunt had extreme heat in her case and her trees are in all day hot sun, hers yellowed like that no matter what she did and finally greened up once the rains moved in with cooler temps.

Maybe pH issues if not that? Trust me, I would be all over it like you)

MIke

• mc510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I'm just going to keep up regular fertilizing and water through this season, and hope that it recovers at some point. Maybe I'll get a professional soil test too, just to eliminate that whole area of concern.

@BarbJP, just as you're describing, my lime and oroblanco recovered by putting out new, healthy leaves, but the yellowed leaves didn't really ever turn green. There's just no new growth at all on my Eureka!

@meyermike, don't know about the others here, but I'm definitely NOT in a hot sunny climate! We have a dry season from about April to October, but it's often foggy and rarely gets much above 70 degrees.

This post was edited by mc510 on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 13:15