Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whiteflies on my Meyer Lemon

Posted by krismast 6 S.E. PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:22

Today on my meyer lemon, I noticed a few whiteflies on the leaves and I was hoping to nip it in the bud before it got too bad. I have some Bonide ready to use spray that has neem oil in it. Will that work? Should I just follow the directions as listed? Also, this is a newly transplanted (one week ago) tree. The label on the spray says it should not be used on newly transplanted trees. Is it too soon to use it?

Thanks

Kristopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whiteflies on my Meyer Lemon

Do you have any plain horticultural oil? Summer weight oils, when applied to the underside of the foliage will smother eggs and pupae of whitefly quite nicely. Spraying the bottom surface is imperative.

o

I always wondered what the difference was between neem and horticulture oil.

Is horticulture oil just petroleum oil? Also what is a "summer weight" oil? Do you call it that because its lighter made to deal with the hot sun of summer to not scorch the plant?

o

Neem oil IS one of the horticultural oils, though it is clearly has a very unique ingredient. Hort. oils are usually a highly refined and filtered petroleum oil though some are vegetable based. Emulsifying agents are added to allow the product to be applied cleanly with water. You can purchase an oil that is especially manufactured to be lighter OR you will often find alternative directions for mixing on your standard hort. oil.

I was reading a report recently that said that the use of oil applications (not neem) for whitefly can reduce their egg laying by as much as 95%.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here for some good information

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here