Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clip3

Limequat pruning question

clip3
9 years ago

Hello i have young limequat for about a year, growing it indoors in a pot. and i couldnt find the right way how to prune true little tree that it could grow right and dont want to cause damage having so small time of practise with gardening or pruning.
Before spring i pruned my limequat hard enoutgh and it grew as you see in pic now, after the first wave at end of april it grew only 1 new branch which i cut it leaving 4 leaves on it after if grew another 2 branches in diferent places and soon summer begins. Can i cut these branches leaving 4-5 leaves on it? Or keep them as it and prune after winter? Dont khow what to do :/
And 1 more thing in picture there is 1 giant leaf on it and i couldnt find what cause that leaf became so huge

Comments (4)

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

You don't need to prune citrus. Not for fruit, not for winter, not needed at all.
    You can prune if your tree gets way too big for an area, but I'm talking like 10 feet or more too big.

Your nice little baby tree needs all the leaves and branches it can make. Do NOT prune it anymore.

The larger leaf is something young trees just do. It's nothing to worry about.

• clip3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess there are more than one techniquies for pruning citrus, i couldnt find specific info for Eustis Limequat pruning, thats why Thanks i will try to not prune it. But what matters for me its why?

2nd uploaded pic i want to ask for advice what to do with those sticking out branches is it safe to cut them?

And what about the lowest branch that still produces leaves, i think it will become uneeded for the tree and i got in mind that someday soon maybe next spring it should be cutted. What do you think? Ty:)

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Why would that branch be unneeded? Your tree is small and it needs all it's branches with leaves to make energy to grow bigger.

Are you trying to get a "tree" like appearance, like a lollipop on a stick shape?
    That's your choice of course, and if so, then some day you can remove that branch.

But right now if I were you, I'd leave all the branches and leaves so the tree can grow bigger.

You don't say where you are geographically, or what your plans are for this tree.
    Whether you're going to plant it outside someday, if your climate permits that, or if it will spend it's life in a pot, going out in warm weather and going back in during the winter, that will make a difference in the type of advice you'll need. So tell us where you are and folks can help you easier.

Imo, at the size it is now, I'd not prune it at all for a couple years at least, no matter what you do later. But it's your tree, you can do what you want with it.

You are doing a fine job with growing it as it's nice and dark green and healthy, I'd just like to see it with even more leaves.

You can safely prune off those small stubs of old branches at the bottom if you'd like.

This post was edited by BarbJP on Tue, May 27, 14 at 16:22

• clip3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hehe not like a lolipop just want all the best for my baby :)
    Sorry i didint mentioned such important info. Im from Lithuania, Lithuania is situated on the eastern shore of the Baltic Sea. Climate is not good to grow citruses outside, because of winters :( This citrus going to stay in pot forever. Hardest part is taking care Limequat in winter season, i cant make winter temperatures like +10 celsius in my flat, because of central heating system. And by that Limequat suffers from high temperatures, even with additional light, this winter citrus dropped about 10-20 % of theyr leaves.
    Added photo how Limequat looked after pruning before spring season.
    I'm having trouble understanding info how to rotate citrus pot that it can get a good shape dont understand per year it should be rotated 180 degrees? that each year other side of the plant watch to the sun. Or it should be rotated 360 degrees?