Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_fernandez

Newbie to Citrus with Questions and pictures

Miss.Fernandez
9 years ago

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum and after reading all there is to want to know about citrus, I can't figure out what to do.

I received 3 citrus trees for my housewarming last year (Feb/March 2013). The trees are Calamondin, Mexican Key Lime and Meyer Lime from a store online (Larry's Orchids). I'm assuming that the trees are not grafted (I think I looked for a graftpoint and didnt find one... not that I really know what I'm looking for. LOL). The trees came in 4" black pots.

I transplanted the trees into 6" pots because the instructions told me to transplant to a bigger pot gradually. I did. I used Miracle Grow Cactus Palm and Citrus potting soil. I took the plants outside about 3/4 months later when the summer months came (I also saw little flowers and figured that bees pollinate and since I dont have bees inside my house, I took them outside. LOL).

I watered regularly (only forgot to water about once or twice and the leaves dropped. LOL). I was able to see more growth but nothing major. I can't recall when the Calamondin started to flower (after looking at my picture, I know it was Aug) but I was able to get about 4 tiny teeny fruits to grow (these were about the diameter of a quarter) I didnt now what to do since my trees were very small and knowing a little about the law of physics, I knew the branches would not support a full-sized calamondin. I got a couple of very small oranges and thought it would grow bigger than a quarter. They ripened on the tree and I tried one of them (big mistake!!!) So SoUR!! I knew this would happen but I wanted to enjoy the fruit of my labor. LOL.

I have threw out 3 of the oranges and left one in the plant so that my Autistic nephew could see the 'the baby orange tree' every time he comes to visit.

My Lime and Lemon trees set flowers maybe March or so 2014. I loved the sweet scent and it reminded me of my very thorny lime tree in Dominican Republic. Unfortunately, all the flowers dropped and no fruits set in. About 3 weeks after the flowers dropped, half the leaves in the Lime tree dropped (it had never dropped leaves before). Now after reading and reading, I decided to transplant them today to a slightly bigger pot (8") with the leftover miracle grow soil from last year. I added Osmocote Plus Outdoor & Indoor and watered them. I'm hoping this is good enough to invigorate the trees. I have posted couple of pictures from last year and today.

The first picture is from Aug 1, 2013 When the Calamondin had flowers and little fruit.

Second Picture is from today (5/18/14) (L-R) Mexican Lime, Meyer Lemon, Calamondin

Questions:

1. Will my trees be as nice as others in the Forum (with full size fruits?)

2. I'm afraid to trim anything since they are about a foot tall. Should I?

3. I read they need Calcium and Osmocote (the new version) doesnt have calcium. Should I add something else?

4. What is the difference between Grafted and non-grafted trees? Where else would the non-grafted trees come from? Seed?

Is there anything else I need to know??

Comments (12)

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I Realized I cant post more than one picture per post. HAHA. These are the trees now.
    (L-R) Mexican Lime, Meyer Lemon, Calamondin

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

These trees are probably rooted cuttings. Don't trim anything, they look great. They will develop fruit and should grow very nice. One important thing to do is feed feed feed and the Meyer lemon need 1.5 times as much. When you take the trees out side, put them on the north side of your house so that the get sunlight in the morning then fall into the house's shadow until evening. for a week. Each day I moved my tree 1 foot away from the house. In 7 day my tree was getting 8 hours of sun a day. In one more week I moved them into full sun. My trees are doing very well. I use miracle grow miracid 30-10-10 mixed at half strength. I water them with this one a week. I used the miracid at 70% strength for the Meyer lemon. Grafted means that a different species of root is used than the trees own roots. I get my calcium from powdered egg shells mixed with vinegar. Wait till the egg shell is dissolved. Don't let mthe trees dry out.

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks poncirus!!!!

Does it matter if I took them outside last year? Do I have to 'harden' them off each summer????

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

They have to be hardened of each spring when they go outside and have to be winter prepped in fall to come inside. The Meyer lemon takes the most prepping the other 2 can be done in the first 7 days and then put in full light. in the fall just leave them out until frost danger. The days are so short and the sun so low it can be done just taking the tree in when in threat of frost and back out when it is safe. The Meyer lemon should be put in part shade for a week then treat as the others.

I have 1 Meiwa kumquat, 2 nagami kumquat, 3 sweetlee tangerine, and 3 poncirus trifoliata all grown from seed. I have had no problem bringing them in for fall. Taking them out in spring is no problem for all but the kumquat trees. The kumquat tree are a horenduss problem each year. I inheriter 2 Meyer lemon trees from cuttings. I spent the 7 days moving away from the house and an extra week at half light. No leaves dropped.

Check the link below to see what I am doing. search out all of my photos, they are registered as public for all to see

Good luck with your trees

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5961857381151877457?banner=pwa

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi!

It's not actually letting me see the pictures. Sorry.

Also, another question. How long will it take for my trees to get a good trunk? They look like they wont support one good sized lime or lemon or orange. LOL.

I'm assuming that trunk size increase after branches get stronger. Right?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

your right. Give them about 3 to 4 years to gain strength. The calamondin and Mexican lime will produce fruit about the size of a large grape. The Meyer lemon however gets much larger.

If you got the thumbnails. just click on one and It should enlarge. Use the keyboard right arrow key to navigate from picture to picture.

3 sweetlee tangerine trees from seed now one year old at picture time.
    {{gwi:562286}}
    Your meyer lemon might grow this much. The other 2 trees are slower growing.

I asked others how many bushel you get from your potted citrus trees. This is that link.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg081305578468.html

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve on the link of how much fruit I'll get (if I do good by these trees). How fast do the trees react to fertilizer? I replanted into bigger pots with new soil and fert about 3 days ago.

And how does Calamondin oranges taste? I read from a couple of threads that they're a little sour. maybe marmalade?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

It take a little while and it is still to cold for our zone 6 citrus to take off. My trees started doing well by mid June. I foliage fed my trees with half strength Miracid 30-10-10 In the morning and afternoon each day. I had my three sweetlee tangerine trees in bottomless containers on top of very hi grade compost. I watered every other day all summer. With no bottom in the pot the excess water past through with out stagnating in the bottom. Check out my You-tube video on transplanting bottomless trees.

I have never tasted a calamondin. If you squeeze the juice out, and use it to make calamondin meringue pie or key-less lime-less pie.The juice should go good on fish and mixed drinks. The skin is sweet and the solids will be tangy.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkMFbhlgB0

• masterpenguin
    9 years ago

In the Philippines, calamondin is mixed with soy as a dipping sauce for fish. It is also used to squeeze onto pangsit(noodle dish) or sodas like cola or sprite.

• Mad Ferret
    9 years ago

That Calamondim actually looks as if you've got two in there, but it's a bit hard to tell. The fruit (when I get it) actually can be quite sweet it'll never be as sweet as a satsuma but quite palatable.

They're all nice looking plants, you might want to make sure they're in a suitable soil mix and gets some non glazed ceramic pots that are as wide as the ones you have but taller to save 'trouble' later on. I'm not sure what other more qualified people think?

Regards
    Nick

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Welcome on board masterpenguin

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks MasterPenguin, MadFerret and Poncirusguy!

It's not two Calamondins. It's actually a stick I used to prop the oranges because I thought they would be full sized fruits and not a tiny quarter-sized orange. LOL.

Now about that orange, should I remove it? will the tree not grow and produce foliage or flowers because the fruit is there? I know it's not going to grow anymore because the ones I tasted before had a full sized seeds... Also this one tiny orange has been on there for about 3/4 months. I doubt it will grow larger. LOL