Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Variegated Pink Eureka cutting....

Well it took nearly a year (9 months) to root....but it finally did!

The leaves were flat and dull for months and months, but they remained pliant and never dried out (so I kept on watering the cutting). Within the past three weeks, the leaves suddenly plumped up, took on a healthy sheen, and now I think I see the start of flowers.

Josh

Last Summer, Late July:

{{gwi:587060}}

And here it is this morning:

{{gwi:587061}}

Comments (17)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Josh,

The variegated pink, like most variegated species is inherently weak. I am not sure of the value of tolerating such a species apart from the novelty. I don't know of anyone who grows them commercially; but I have seen some small plantings that look like they are commercial. Good luck with your cutting.
    BTW, I just ordered up a Midknight Valencia from Four Winds for my Son in Sacramento; in case you might want to get to know him and maybe score some buds or a cutting. He also has a kaffir lime, a Chandler pomelo, and of course a Meyer.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a great gift, John.
    My brother planted one of my Pomelo seedlings in his Sacramento backyard about a month ago. It's amazing how many Citrus are grown in Sacramento....and many of them are very old.

I don't have any particular attachment to this cutting...other than as an experiment to see if I could do it. The foliage is the main draw to these variegated Eureka lemons, and the pink to purple flowers are pretty cool, too. I haven't tried the fruit yet, so I can't comment on that.

If I can get this cutting sized up enough to survive the Winter, I'll see if I can plant it in my brother's yard.

Josh

• Csanad
    9 years ago

I'd like to try rooting some cuttings myself.
    When did you take the cuttings (were they fresh shoots, semi hardened off or completely hardened)?
    Did you use any rooting hormones (I suspect not)?
    How much light did they receive?

Thanks in advance!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello!
    I took two cuttings at the very end of July: a completely hardened cutting (left) and a tender cutting (right). The mature cutting dried up in a matter of days. This surviving cutting was from the tender new growth. You're right, I didn't use any rooting hormone, although that might surely have helped. Filtered light only during the Summer, with morning light in an east window all Winter.

Josh

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

John

Life is not complete with out a Meyer lemon

Steve

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

My company motto...If life gives you lemons, pray they are Meyers!

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Josh, always keeping secrets from me..lol

Fantastic job buddy! I knew you could do it..You must of rooted in in just bark and pumice, what I root my Hoya in?

Love it

MIke

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, Mike....yep, some bark, lava rock, and perlite.

Josh

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

When rooting citrus, I've had best luck with last season's growth, root in Spring before leaves emerge, keep environment super humid (baggie or in a plastic box) and super warm -- like mid-80s to low 90's. I use rooting hormone too. Medium must not be too wet, but humidity is a must. Also, I reduce number of leaves on the cutting to maybe 2 or 3. You can also cut large leaves in half to reduce transpiration and dessication.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Well done, Josh. Not always easy to root variegated cuttings. And John, the Pink Eureka Variegated lemon is mostly grown for it's lovely foliage. The lemons are just so so, but the tree itself, it very pretty. I think I'm going to look into getting some Centennial kumquats for the same reason. Although the fruit is actually superior to its original parent plant (it's a sport of Nagami), I'm not a kumquat fan. But, LOVE the look of the tree, and the Nagami has a lovely, small, compact habit. Great for growing in containers, edging walkways, etc.

Patty S.

Patty S.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey! Thanks very much, Patty!
    Good tips, Dave.

Josh

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Looks great!
    You sure are patient! :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Believe me, JoJo, I was about to dump it!

Josh

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Call me silly, but sometimes I think plants understand what we are thinking. I know one fellow who got his apple tree to start producing after he put an axe next to it.
    On my roof I have some large clay pots; one has some beautiful Dutch amaryllis; another has a dragon fruit; neither has produced flower or fruit in 4 years; so I decided to take them out. Literally, in a few weeks I have a mass of flowers and the dragon fruit is going to produce 20-30 fruits.
    True story; and here is another. My alma mater, UC Davis filled a room with plants all connected to EEG machines; in the room was a bench with a similar plant also connected. A person enters, sits on the bench, and thinks nice thoughts about the plant next to him; all the plants in the room are "calm" according to the EEG machines. Another person enters, sits on the bench and just THINKS about burning the plant next to him. All the plants go "nuts" immediately.
    Maybe I am more than typically talented regarding plants; because I "communicate" with them.
    Maybe Josh's plant finally got roots because he was planning to dump it.
    If any of you have trees that won't produce, try propping an axe next to them. LOL

This post was edited by Johnmerr on Thu, May 22, 14 at 18:58

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Yup! Well said John..lol

I have always thought the same thing...

MIke

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I didn't put an ax next to my trees, but discussed with my wife about removal of unproductive trees. That year every tree produced an estimate of 10 bushels from the lot of them. I got about 1 bushel of apples and squirrels got the rest. Only my first ripening tree gave apples. I got nothing from the rest but 100's of red pieces of compost with one bite out of them.

I put a have a heart trap out near the trees but caught nothing. The trees are very attractive with flowers in the spring so we will leave.

P.S I did set and bait the trap

Steve

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

If only the thinking stuff worked with the squirrels!

Well, you can try it; this year talk about getting a pellet gun for the little rats with fuzzy tails, and see if they stay away, lol!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County