Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkberry

Yellow Meyer leaves

arkberry
10 years ago

i am a bit stuck on the yellow leaves. i think it may be from not getting enough fertilizer. I give it the same dose of foliage pro as all my other citrus and they are doing well. So far this year we have been very wet (rains every two or three days real hard for several weeks-not normal here), as a result it has not been fed as often because the 5-1-1 mix just does not get enough time to dry. if it is a food issue, could i add some citrus fertilizer i use on some in ground plants? we are suppose to get a lot more rain over the next week. There is some new growth about a foot above the graft.

If it is not a food issue could it be related to the cooler temps and all the rain? The other 12 citrus all look good.

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Cool temps; maybe some salt issues. By any chance are you watering it with water from a water softener? The top left leaf almost looks like Alternaria; but to my knowledge Meyers are not susceptible to that. I sometimes get similar symptoms in some of my garden Meyers; and I'm not sure what causes it. I try not to stress about simple matters like that. I would NOT guess that it was over feeding; maybe the opposite.
    With a little experience, a Meyer almost TELLS you about fertilizer levels; if it is adequately fed, new growth will have a reddish brown tinge. If it is overfed, you get watersprouts and big thorns; if it is underfed, the leaves are smaller and light green.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

My Meyer is considerably lighter in the leaf than my other Citrus. My Pomelo seedlings are beautiful, deep green, vital - and I hardly feed them in their 1-gallon pots. My Moro and Pink Eureka hold their color with 1 teaspoon of foliage pro per week. I fertilize the Meyer on the same schedule and concentration, but it doesn't color or respond quite the same.

With all that rain, it sounds as though the mix must be flushed at this point. If you're feeling brave, try hitting the Meyer with 2 Teaspoons of Foliage Pro and see what happens. Should be obvious within a week or so.

Josh

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Meyers are NOT ordinary citrus; for example, ordinary citrus do well on an NPK ratio of 5-1-3; Meyers need 3-1-2.
    Ordinary citrus might do well at label directions of citrus fert.; Meyers need about 1.5 times the label recommendation.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

No, just chorotic. I would add a timed release fertilizer such as Osmocote Plus (must be the "plus" formulation, as it has the micros) if you can find it. If not, use Miracle Gro Shake n'Feed for Citrus (higher N ratio to P & K, plus most of the micros). That will help "bridge the gap", as it sounds to me like your fertilizer is just getting flushed out from all the rain. And, does not look like salt build up at all, since we're dealing with low levels of fertilizer being washed out due to all the rain. Another option would be to pot up, so you have more potting media, and protect from heavy rains so you can better regulate the amount of water and fertilizer.

Patty S.

• arkberry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: Have continued with fp and weather had warmed up. Also added the time release I use on my inground trees to the upper inch of pitting medium. So far the discolored leaves have not changed back to green, but there are about 12-15 new areas of new growth plus some blooms. The previously set bb size fruit is growing. I am going to continue with the current treatment course unless someone feels otherwise. Lemons and limes are hard work. With two years plusofcitrus experience the satsuma get my vote as easiest

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Don't expect the existing leaves to turn green again; but if the new growth is green, then you have solved the problem.
    BTW Meyers have a reputation for being "finicky"; but when planted in the ground, they are much easier to grow.

• arkberry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John-

Thanks for the data on the leaves not turning back to green. In my zone all I can grow in the ground here is satsuma and I am on the very edge. Most of mine are in pots so I can push them into unheated greenhouse if it get real cold here. Meyers are definitely a challenge, but I have more lime issues.