Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgde

In Ground Irrigation Schedule in the Arizona Desert?

pgde
9 years ago

Hi All!

Greetings from Tucson again (hope all you in the Midwest made it through the nasty winter back there -- this winter we didn't have to put up the frost cloth). I am wondering how much those of you in the desert irrigate your trees. I just got our first water summer water bill and am looking to make sure I am getting the max benefit for the trees for what we are paying for water.

As you might remember, my trees are now about 4 years in the ground and have trunks about 4" in diameter and are from 5 to 8 feet high (pictures available). Trees are protected on the east side of our house, so they have morning sun and a bit of late afternoon sun (and the wind is generally from the west so they don't get wind blown too much except when it is from the east). Drainage is excellent (perhaps too good...).

Each of them has 4 1 gph (sorry not gpm) drip emitters below ground. Am currently irrigating once deeply (3 hours) and once lightly (1.5 hours). The reason for the light irrigation is due to the coming hot temps (over 90, today it is 102) and I thought it would help them and assist in protecting against fruit drop. So my question is -- should I increase the second watering to 3 hours or should I cut the "deep" watering to a shorter time and increase the number of days of irrigation?

Right now the trees look good, but the temps have been rather moderate (mid to high 80s). Now with the summer heat coming (80s are a thing of the past until October...) and the fact that they are now maturing, I am curious as to what the best irrigation schedule would be.

I've tried talking to the County Ag agent and that was useless -- they admitted they didn't know anything about citrus ;-(...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Peter

This post was edited by pgde on Wed, May 28, 14 at 11:41

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz