Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoryofgravity_gw

How long from "bud to ripe" for Australian Finger Limes

TheoryOfGravity
9 years ago

Hello fellow Finger Lime Geeks!

I can't seem to find answers through search:

1. All things "normal": How long from first fruit set does it take for Australian Finger Limes ripen? Ballpark is OK to take into account all the varieties. Mine are "dark green/black" if it helps you.

Mostly I'd like an opinion on:

2. If my current limes are an average of 5cm (1.97in) how much growth will they get in exactly 1 month? I want to show a finger lime to someone in that time and I'm curious to know how mature it will be.

This is Inland SoCal (valley). And the limes are in pots in morning shade/late afternoon sun on the north side of the house. They seem to really be thriving.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Usually Finger Limes will bloom like any other typical citrus - late winter/early spring (Feb-April). And, the fruit is ripe in the late fall/early winter (Nov-Dec). Length depends on cultivar and age of tree. Mine are still pretty small, maybe no more than 3" long right now, when ripe. Have no idea how much growth to expect in a month, completely depends on when the fruit set, age of tree, watering, fertilizing, sun conditions. That is rather impossible to estimate. They like lots of sun, more important to try to calculate number of hours in full sun, which would be less in the winter, due to the sun's lower apex, and longer shadows cast from your house if on the north side of your home. You may see lots of vegetative growth, but less fruiting with less sun.

Patty S.

• TheoryOfGravity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Patty!

Right now there are a lot of flowers on one and lots of fruit set on the other two. But they are from the nursery just a few months ago, so I'm sure it's something they did, not me.

I will get them better sun. It makes sense for sugar production in photosynthesis. And it's been crazy schizophrenic weather here in SoCal for the last few weeks.

Specifically, thanks for the answer on the timeline of fruit growth. In a month, I'll add in what the growth was in case it helps anyone in the future.

• LeaCar
    9 years ago

I live in Australia and grow a finger lime in a pot. Here they flower in late winter to early spring (August to September) and ripen late summer to Autumn ( March to May). When ripe they should almost fall off in your hand as you pick them. If you have to pull them off with any force then they are not ripe. To check you can pick one, cut it open across the length and the caviar flesh should roll out by itself.

They are understory rainforest trees that grow in semi tropics, so keep them protected from frost, harsh sun and strong wind. They like to be kept in cool moist (not too wet) soil in hot weather and a dryer soil in cold weather. Like most native Australian plants they don't respond well to phosphate fertilisers, but like a little organic mulch fertiliser before flowering. Keep mulch away from the trunk to avoid collar rot. Light pruning only to keep tree open.

• slatfatf1998
    8 years ago

bought a finger lime from a nursery in march. potted in 25gal pot. kept in on the patio, used same fertilizer as for lemon, avocado and tangerine trees but smaller amt. it had only a few buds which fell off with first stiff patio breezes. Nursery guy said it'd be done budding for the year: boo hoo.

But about a month and some cool weather later, about 34 buds popped out and fruited. Hot, hot weather spurt started browning the leaves and I read that in Australia they like a canopy so I moved it under a shade tree (filtered light) which it seemed to like much better...no more browning leaves. But I watered it and all but 15 fruit fell off. I pampered it which is hard to do when you don't know what you're doing.

Now it's July 15 and suddenly there are tons of buds again! Weather is cool for this time of year and perhaps it's being fooled into thinking it's springtime again. I can't believe it's budded three times though, and I just bought it in March.

So far, no mature fruit bud the tiny 1/2" fruits are still hanging on there.

• Bill Little
    8 years ago

where in Australia are you I an in Blue mountains and have on with 1 fruit on it getting bigger each day only got tree late last year with a few flowers on it fingers crossed