Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_p_gw

land finally, now trees?

cheryl_p
11 years ago

Found (and bought) my cleared land just inland from Naples, Florida. I'm dreamin' of trees now! Could I tap all the expertise here and ask what recommendations you all would have for the sweetest (easy-peel would also be great) orange, tangerine and grapefruit that will do well here? I also want to grow lime, mango and avocado. Can they all be in the same vicinity? I have a little over 1 cleared acre to work with. What size would be recommended? Thanks for any and all help!

Comments (4)

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Im no expert but an Acre for non commercial is a nice size. If its just for you and family you should be in for a treat.

I would suggest some kind of Valencia for juice and Mandarins for flavor. I mean you can get as many trees as you want...hehehe

I was thinking about getting this tree next. Yosemite Gold Mandarin.

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/images/Yosemite_Gold008.jpg

• mike80
    11 years ago

Congratulations on acquiring some space for fruit trees. An acre is more than ample space for your trees especially with some foresight in your planting. The main thing is you have to decide what your goals are: how much of this area do you want for fruit trees?, How much work do you wish to do?, etc. Just to give you an idea I live on one and a quarter acre in Palm Beach County and have 50+ trees, with lots of room to spare. With that you have to remember I plan on controlling the size of my trees particularly ones that can get big like Mangos and Lychees and have planted my trees in a grid.

As far as varieties of sweet citrus, I find the hybrids tend to be much better tasting here in South Florida then the true oranges. The hybrids generally peel very easily, but I would encourage you to find a local place where you can try the varieties for yourself. Also be careful trying the California varieties here in Florida as your results likely will not be the same if you can even acquire them. Take a Navel for eating out of hand: a Florida Navel does not even compare to a California Navel, but a Florida Navel still makes excellent juice. With citrus in Florida you also need to know that it is the hardest fruit for you to grow due to disease pressure, locally there are many who will tell you not to bother. It can be done and it is easier in some places then others, the less commercial citrus in the area the easier it will be. Currently I have the following varieties planted: Temple, Orlando Tangelo, Minneola (Honeybell), Red Navel, Ponkan, Sunburst, Hamlin, Page, and Sugar Belle. You might also want to consider a Sanbokan Lemon, which is a sweet lemon and a nice change of pace.

Mangos are sort of the same story, there are so many varieties and everyone likes different ones: some people love a Carrie Mango others do not think it is anything special. Also Mango season is long like citrus season so try and select varieties that will fruit at different times during the season. The varieties I like include: Glenn, Duncan, Bailey�s Marvel, Lemon Meringue, Pina Colada, Coconut Cream, Valencia Pride, Bombay, and Edward.

I cannot really help you with avocados because I am not a huge fan and they all seem very similiar to me, but I would encourage you try lots of different fruit, the possibilities here in Florida are large. There are many things you cannot get in stores that are great and things you might not think can grow in South Florida but with the proper cultivar and rootstock selection you can, think: apples, peaches, jujubes, mulberries, lychees, loquats, figs, jaboticaba, longans, the list is long. You should try to find a fruit growing society in your area which will help you connect with people. You can check out the link below for the tropical fruit forum there are a lot of Florida people on there. Remember this is all just my opinion. Good luck

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Forum

• capenewfs
    11 years ago

We are thinking of moving to Naples and are avid gardeners. Will figtrees fruit in Naples?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Well, you could be so LUCKY! There are fig trees for every state in every situation.
    I can even grow figs here in the North in containers, and on the tropical islands in the ground. Just find figs that grow local, probably at your local nursery, or ones that require a low amount of chill hours to produce.

A reputable Fig supplier on line like 'Wills Orchards' could fill you in on what's best for your area.

Mike

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio