Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandiegodude_gw

Can this orange tree be saved?

sandiegodude
12 years ago

All right, my orange tree underwent a slew of rookie mistakes and now is paying dearly for it. The question is, can it be saved, and how long before it's healthy again?

Here's what I did with this Washington navel tree, which I bought in April of 2010.

1. I planted it in a low area of the yard.

2. I filled the hole with non-native soil.

3. I overwatered it for several months before I figured things out.

I have since transplanted the tree to a hill that drains better and gets a little more sun. When I transplanted it (in December), I didn't notice any obvious root rot.

But the tree isn't doing good. Most of the leaves are yellow or yellow-green. It bloomed a TON of flowers a month or two ago, but none of them became fruit that I can see. And now, several of the branches are turning brown, as you can see in the pictures below.

I know the tree isn't dead, but it definitely isn't healthy. I read somewhere the the browning of branches indicates that it's in full-blown root rot and may not be salvageable. Do you agree?

I'm in Southern California, the soil is clay. I have a lemon tree that is doing fine in similar soil. But it wasn't in a low area of the yard and wasn't refilled with non-native soil, which I imagine is making the difference here.

{{gwi:587649}}

{{gwi:587650}}

Comments (3)

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi,

Whatever is wrong, I hope the little tree will recover. It looks like it's doing its best to live for you.

Someone here will be able to help you out with this problem.

Vivian

• gracesantacruz
    12 years ago

May be too late a response, but a new Meyer I planted in the ground did this exact same thing to me. The tree went through a massive bloom, lost many leaves, yellowed, but later I found out that's a natural response to impending death - it tries to reproduce quickly.

I removed the Meyer from the yard and put in a pot with good potting soil and put it in the warmest corner with reflected sunlight. When potting, I noticed the roots were not the normal orange-ting color - I forget the color now (white?), but it wasn't right. Very little of the root system was left, maybe top 4 or 5 inches! I pruned it well and put some Vitamin-B to help it's root system recover in the pot. It did recover and thrives in the pot today.

I am pretty sure I had a classic case of root rot from my over-attention. I think this often happens to Meyers put into the yard where soil and water conditions are not ideal for a new citrus planting. I was over-watering (too frequently), and when it started to go into shock, I watered even more. I saw the leaves yellow and gave it fertilizer. All wrong things to do. I should have just watered once a week (or every other week) deeply so the roots would "hunt" for water and establish itself.

The best experience I had with citrus in the ground was a huge size (20-30 gallon) Eureka - it ensured the tree had much of the nursery soil accompanying it. I was more careful and watered deeply every week or two - it's different than grass or other ornamental plants that might need water more often. Today, the Eureka is well established and isn't fussy about water, although I tend to really give it lots of water once a week, no more.

I'm keeping the Meyers in pots - I've heard form others they are a bit more delicate and fussy.

-grace

• cebury
    12 years ago

Wow I can't believe nobody responded with help until now.

Is this tree still alive, do you have an updated pic?
    Has it had any fertilizer? (Do not apply it now, however.)

I'd put a shade structure around it immediately so it gets no afternoon sunlight. Get a moisture meter and check the moisture levels in various spots around the trunk/drip line. Buy a bottle of common Hydrogen Peroxide (3% solution is about$1/96oz at Walmart) and mix it in a few gallons of water and apply, slowly, under the tree drip line. If you don't have slow drip emitters, you can get a used/empty plastic bottle (like a water bottle) and poke a few small holes in the bottom, fill it up and let it slowly drain out. You want the water to drain deeply into the soil, which only happens when done slowly.

The rest of guidance I'd wait until I see an updated photo.

BTW The ton of flowers it produced earlier was a desperation attempt that it makes when stressed. Kinda like it anticipates its own death and uses its (last) remaining energy to reproduce before it dies. It certainly doesn't always mean it will, but that's one way to think about it.

Click on MyPage above on my name o send me an email if I (or someone else) doesn't get back to you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH